You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because access to the file was lost.

I have at last decided to get to grips with Affinity after using DrawPlus , etc for years.

My first introduction not good. In Designer I spent some time creating a new but simple effort (It included a photograph from my hard drive, some text, a graphic I created and some blocks of colour.) and then 'Saved as'.

I gave a name for the document and selected a folder. I got messages asking should this and that be saved to which I answered yes. (I fancy because I let some items extend beyond the page).

An icon appeared in the folder but when I tried later it would not load back in to Designer. So I created another, similar document (a bit quicker this time) and tried to save that with a new name.

I got the message 'Save failed because access to the file was lost.' Yet the new icon was in the folder with its new name. But that won't open either.

I'm using Windows 10 on  a desk top computer and saving to an external drive.

Help please.

13 hours ago, Longtimer said:

saving to an external drive.

Are you saving to a hard drive with a physical connection to your PC (such as USB)? Or are you saving to the cloud? The former should present no problems, but the latter is not recommended. You should download to you local disk, then load and save from a local disk, then save back to the cloud.

If you are having problems with a usb drive, it could be that your connection is faulty. Can you check it?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks John but

I am using an external hard drive connected via a USB.

I save files from a number of apps including all the Serif Page Plus, Movie Plus, Web Plus, etc and Word documents, without any problem so the connection can hardly be at fault and there is massive free space.

Bill

The file will be created by the operating system at the request of Affinity. The icon is also an Operating System property, depending on the file suffix. 

You have saved files to your disk in the past without problems, but is this still the case? Can you save and retrieve other files since your problems with Affinity? If not, then I suspect it is your connection. If you can, then I am stumped and I will have to leave it to others.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I spend much of my life creating posters, booklets, films, PowerPoints and other productions as well as editing old photographs and ones of my own. Some of these since  first starting this post. These are always saved to my external hard drive and retrieved from there without problem so the 'Save as' problem with Affinity Designer is not the connection between my computer and the hard drive. I've also tried saving the creations from yesterday onto my computer hard drive with the same results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Longtimer,

your original problem is hard to diagnose remotely - you've had a few suggestions which haven't worked so need to keep trying until you find the cause.  For example, you are saving onto a USB connected drive - but does it work correctly if you have a file on your main C drive?  If a file won't save to your USB drive, can you open one from there (download an afdesign file from these forums if you don't have one that you know is not corrupted).  You say you can see an icon for the file in explorer but have you looked to see what the file size is (as an indication of whether or not it is corrupt)?  Have you tried creating a very simply file in Designer (eg just a square or circle on a background) and then tried saving that?

Your problem is not a common one on these forums so seems likely to be something to do with your specific set up - unfortunately it just means trying lots of different things to narrow down what the underlying cause is. 

Alecia - sorry but I've not had to use the file recovery so can't help you with that. 

Hi Clive.

I have three external drives, generally used for different purposes (all USB connected). I have no problem saving to these drives and downloading from them, or moving files between them, with a considerable number of applications including All the Serif applications pre Affinity.(I have been using and updating all the Serif application since they were first launched). So I use the drives for Web Sites, Photo Editing, producing posters and booklets. I have no save/recover problems with these on any of the drives or my 'C' Drive.. I occasionally use Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. I use music creation and editing and sound editing applications, screen capture and OCR applications and have no problems with these. So a large number of file formats are OK.

I have tried a simple creation in Affinity Design a number of times but the same problem persists on all my drives. Files I created in Affinity Publisher and Photo have no problems.

Non of my drives are anywhere near full.

The icon which appeared shows no attributes except the Affinity design - it has no information of file size or type.

There have been other threads concerning 'save' problems but not the same as mine.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It has also happened to me just then.
I have loaded 37 jpgs (which AP has handled 'loading' more than those before) and when trying to save the AFP layerd files, I get the same message.

I can export the file as a jpg but I cannot save it as an Affinity Photo file. 
It is the current release too.
Cheers It has also happened to me just then.
I have loaded 37 jpgs (which AP has handled 'loading' more than those before) and when trying to save the AFP layerd files, I get the same message.

I can export the file as a jpg but I cannot save it as an Affinity Photo file. 
It is the current release too.
Cheers

To be quite honest with you I've given up on Affinity Designer. I use Affinity Photo and Publisher a bit but the DrawPlus x?, etc serve me very well. I still use WebPlus and MoviePlus and DrawPlus and Photoplus all work well together.

I have no problem saving with these apps on any of my hard drives, internal or external nor of moving files from one to another.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm having the same problem since yesterday. It happened out of the blue. I'm using photos created by myself. Using internal storage disk and this is the second file I cannot save as affinity photo file. Nothing seems to work but only to export. Is there any solution to this problem? I'm really losing my mind. I need to save my files!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't save my Affinity Photo file. Opened file originally created in Affinity Photo, worked on it for a while and when I tried to save nothing happened. No save window, nothing. Tried save as, same thing. The file has lived on my dock for now. I also tried to export as PDF and nothing.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue, just started today out of the blue. Failed to save document because access to the file was lost with both Photo and Designer. Please Mods Kindly Help!

image.png.1490d0fb68ee959e42006c365f8feae6.png

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

System Manufacturer: Acer | System Model: Nitro AN515-54 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406) | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz | Memory: 16384MB RAM | Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | Manufacturer: NVIDIA | Chip type: GeForce RTX 2060

7 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

Please Mods Kindly Help!

Some more detailed information - OS, external / internal disk, etc ...

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

30 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Some more detailed information - OS, external / internal disk, etc ...

Running on Windows 10, saving to internal disk (Location, Desktop), Using Photo 1.10.4 and Designer 1.10.4

--------------------
System Information
--------------------

System Manufacturer: Acer | System Model: Nitro AN515-54 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406) | Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz | Memory: 16384MB RAM | Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 | Manufacturer: NVIDIA | Chip type: GeForce RTX 2060

42 minutes ago, MwamiAnim8 said:

Location, Desktop

Haven't you tried any more convenient/preferable folder for storing users' work files?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.