You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I created a designer file with multiple artboards (different sizes). To produce all images from  de different artboards I open the file in Publisher and export to PNG, didn't save the file.

Now when I open the file again in Designer, there's only artboard vissible???

Try again in Publisher and al the artboards are there (as spreads) so they are still there!

But I like to edit my file in Designer, so what's happening??

Jeroen

Hello Specific,
When you reopen the document in Designer, look down at the bottom left corner of the window. You will see navigation arrows to take you to each artboard in turn.
Note, if you want the document to remain as created in Designer then it maybe best not to convert it to Spreads when opening it in Publisher.

352703174_Screenshot2019-10-19at11_04_54.png.690b79c435e7202fe13341e79d1089b4.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

42 minutes ago, Spacific said:

Do you know if you can go back to one overall view with all the artboards vissible? Is this a setting?

When you Opened your Designer document in Publisher you were given the option to convert the artboards to spreads, or not.

If you chose to convert them to spreads, they're spreads, and there's no possibility of going back other than manual copy/paste of all the layers into new artboards in another document.

You should have either saved the version with artboards as a .afdesign document, or chosen the option to not convert to spreads when you transferred it to Publisher. Other than that, at this point I'm afraid you're stuck. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As far as I know, no there is no way to show an overview of all Spreads in Designer. Nor a way to convert them back to Artboards.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

That's strange, it means when you agree to converting to pages it automatically saves the file (the designer file)? Normally when you open/import a file in a program the changes are made when you save it in that program. Seems that publisher change the designer file in the background (artboards->pages)?

As far as I remember, I did it before: Import and not save it in publisher, just export the pages to images and then went back to designer with the unsaved file

20 minutes ago, Spacific said:

That's strange, it means when you agree to converting to pages it automatically saves the file (the designer file)? Normally when you open/import a file in a program the changes are made when you save it in that program. Seems that publisher change the designer file in the background (artboards->pages)?

As far as I remember, I did it before: Import and not save it in publisher, just export the pages to images and then went back to designer with the unsaved file

No, it doesn't automatically save the file when you do the conversion to spreads.

But, if you started with an unsaved Designer file, and used Edit in Publisher, it would save a temporary copy to transfer to Publisher. Then, in Publisher, if you agreed to convert to spreads, you have a file with spreads rather than artboards.

Did you save while in Publisher? If so, it was saved as a .afpub (unless you changed to .afdesign) with spreads.

If you did not save in Publisher, but used Edit in Designer to get back to Designer, a temporary copy was saved to transfer back to Designer. But that copy has spreads. And when you got back to Designer you still have spreads. And if you save at that point, you get a .afdesign file with spreads.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As far as I know I closed the designer file, opened it in publisher (convert to pages) did maybe one tweak on a page, exported to png and exit publisher without saving the file. The tweak i did later as well in publisher (double work but to prevent saving the file in publisher).

But mabye I did someting else