You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colon instead of comma confusing in French localisation

LEB

Hi LEB,

and welcome here … :)

The colon together with the square brackets indicate that you are using default line spacing, i.e. the line spacing that is read off from the parameters provided by the font. A colon and round brackets are used for line spacings proportional to the font size. It’s the same in other localisations.

However, I would wholeheartedly agree that the colon is confusing! I think the square brackets should suffice as an indicator! Though there might be a reason for using colons I haven’t figured out yet. :/

Cheers, Alex :)

16 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

But why is it the same in English then, Garret?

I am not aware of any part of the English interface where semicolon is used in that way. Here are a couple screenshots that show what I'm seeing in the equivalent places:

1013782601_ScreenShot2019-10-21at3_47_44PM.png.59a833200664db0dac5440b0897af324.png

2035422480_ScreenShot2019-10-21at3_49_49PM.png.1f05d2505ddb7dd619d675f6d87b9cd4.png

What variety English are you using? I am using US English, and I did not know any variety of English that uses a semicolon for a decimal point.

10 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

What variety English are you using?

EN English. As the semicolon appears also in this locale, I was under the impression that it conveys a special meaning. Together with the brackets, that is (see my first post). But it could as well be a mistake. Most likely it is. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made improvements to this area of the program in the latest Affinity Publisher beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0 builds are in links at the top of these forum posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...