Hi, A question. When I create multiple artboards in Designer and place a image on one of them, why cant I make a call to photo to edit that (1) image without opening every artboard in my file in photo? Shouldn't I just be able to open the 1 selected image for editing? This does't seem to be very efficient.

Edited by Royov

Just guessing but I think one reason may be so you can move or copy the placed image to a different artboard in AP

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Hi Royov,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately in it's current implementation this isn't possible, using the Edit In... commands will always transfer the whole file, rather than just the layer selected.

StudioLink in Publisher allows for this workflow, however this isn't available in Designer currently, apologies.

I'll move your thread to our Feedback section of the forums for our devs to see and consider, as the ability to to Edit an embedded image only from a Designer document in Photo would make for a nice option.

As an afterthought, I would like to see the following behavior.

1. If using File>Edit in Photo, then the current behavior is fine. The entire document is opened.

2. If an Artboard is selected and right clicked, the pop-up allows editing the entire Artboard in Photo

3. If an image is selected, then right clicking would allow editing of only the selected image in Photo

In #3 Upon closing the edited image, an option to also save back to the originating image file would be great.