You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bugs when switching an existing file from single to facing pages with master pages

dim p

I am attempting to adjust a document from single to facing pages. Currently, the document uses a single master page. However, once I switch the document and the master page from single to facing, I am finding a series of issues: 

• Each spread now contains two copies of the master page
  • The master spread continues to behave like a single page instead of two facing pages
    • The margins on the master spread act as if the spread is a single page, without an inner margin
    •  Columns layout treat the whole spread as a single page

I am using Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 on Windows in the office (HOK)

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

I don't think the Master Page should be changed in size. It needs to be the same size as the page size, not the spread size.

I agree. It would be more appropriate for the user to create a new facing-page Master Page if that's desired/needed.

It's also appropriate that each spread have two copies of the Master. Otherwise any content from the Master would be lost on one of the pages of the spread.

And I think it would also be better for the user to adjust the margins to account for inner margins, if they want them.

But I don't understand the comment about the columns layout, and that doesn't seem right.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In InDesign, switch from single to double spreads is fairly straightforward, so I see no reason why this shouldn't be as straightforward as well. 

Another issue I've encountered - when switching a first page to a second page in a facing spread, the master gets duplicated so each face of the page has initial masterpage layout as opposed to the one meant to be on the flip side. E.g. when flipping the order of two facing pages, the page numbers end up remaining on the edge where they were prior to flipping the order.