You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Truetype Fonts - no BOLD option

I'm using the Font called Condell Bio by Letritas (purchased from MyFonts.com) - this is the Truetype version. I have been using it successfully in MS Word. However, in Publisher, the simple task of changing any typeface from regular to  BOLD (using Command B) or even selecting the Bold characteristic in the gallery is not functioning. I can get get italics and underscore but not bold.

Condell Bio in Affinity Publisher.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, jimiknits.

The Affinity applications depend on the fonts and font designers to provide Bold or Italic support. If the font (or font family) does not provide one of those features, the application will not try to simulate it. I think that this limitation is there to ensure the best possible appearance of the fonts.

You could attempt to simulate bold yourself, by adjusting the Outline Style for that text. You'll find that in the Character Studio panel:
image.png.61dc095d5859d2ea7df075d60d5835f9.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In your screen shot, where the Regular box beside the font name is, can you select bold there?

Did you install all 16 styles? Bold may well be style linked to the Medium. So if Medium is chosen, does the Bold then work?

Thanks @walt.farrell and @MikeW

The entire font collection is installed and the bold variation of this font is available via the font drop menu.

But as you can imagine, the absolute f*ing tedium of doing that every time a word needs to be emboldened (which is a common element in knitting patterns btw) fills me with dread! Ugh! Without the basic ability to do Command B or check the 'B' style in the gallery, it will cause a tremendous slow down in work flow. I may have to go back to using MS Word!

Should I uninstall the TrueType font and install the OTF instead?

font drop menu options.png

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

If medium is used, does bold then work as expected? If so, complain to the font author.

I doubt the otf version works differently, though I would always choose otf over ttf if I had the opportunity.

Sadly no. Doing Command B does not work with any of the font styles. I agree, I may have to go back to the font author. Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, jimiknits said:

But as you can imagine, the absolute f*ing tedium of doing that every time a word needs to be emboldened (which is a common element in knitting patterns btw) fills me with dread!

If there are common character patterns or words that need to be bolded, then you could use Find/Replace to change their style, specifically to change their font. That might be simpler than making the style selections word-by-word as you write the text. Or, you could encode such words yourself, e.g., as *word*, and later find all such encoded strings and change their font with one Find/Replace operation.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The family is inexpensive and I was tempted to buy it to take a look in my font editor. But I already have a similar font family.

Perhaps Serif could provide a secure link for you to send the fonts to them to make sure there is not a problem in the software. 

Thanks guys! I just wish I had time to dedicate efforts to this, but I'm too busy trying to get a document out the door! ^_^

But I will come back and properly fix this issue. In the meantime, I'm looking at different fonts in my library as an alternative.

Cheers! Have a great weekend!

The other solution is to create Character styles and use other shortcuts (I usually use ctrl+numeric pad number for [ italic | bold italic | bold ], and for variants like medium or black ctrl+alt+ num pad or ctrl+shift+num pad, etc.).

You can asign shortcut to the Paragraph|Character styles. 

30 minutes ago, Wosven said:

The other solution is to create Character styles and use other shortcuts (I usually use ctrl+numeric pad number for [ italic | bold italic | bold ], and for variants like medium or black ctrl+alt+ num pad or ctrl+shift+num pad, etc.).

Ooo...! Now we’re cooking! I was wondering if Publisher had the ability to assign shortcuts. I will explore this, thanks a lot! :)

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

I had a vague memory about that being possible, but couldn't remember how. So I looked, and didn't find a way to do it. How does one do that?

-- Walt
PC:

The sort of odd way the designer did the fonts name fields may be confusing APub.
There is a proper style group (R/I/B/BI) which is why MS Word works properly.

BUT, they also filled-in just the Typographic Sub-family in only the Italic and the Bold-Italic fonts.
The Typographic Family field is still blank in these Italic and Bold-Italic fonts.
In the Regular and Bold fonts the both the Typographic Family and Sub-family are blank.

The Bold and Italic buttons will usually be the style group settings.
The Font List is generally going to be the Typographic Family and Sub-family.
When these fields are blank apps know to look at the style group fields.
By having partially filled-in only Typographic Sub-family I think APub is getting confused.

Perhaps someone from Affinity could test the fonts in APub.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:38 PM, Wosven said:

I usually use ctrl+numeric pad number

Would you remind me whether you are using Mac or Windows?

I ask because you seem to imply, by the fact that you specify “numeric pad number,” that you expect the numeric pad numbers to be different than the numbers in the regular position (i.e., the number keys above the letters). I wish that were true, but on Mac at least, both sets of numbers are treated identically for the purpose of shortcuts in Affinity, such that one cannot assign different commands to, for example, ctrl+num1 and ctrl+1.

Indesign on Mac does make the distinction, and for me it is helpful in using the num pad for assigning to various styles without overriding default shortcuts.

Edit: I meant my question for @Wosven, but it looks like I quoted from the quote in jimiknits, so that the quote was erroneously attributed to jimiknits, sorry for the confusion.

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Edit: I meant my question for @Wosven, but it looks like I quoted from the quote in jimiknits, so that the quote was erroneously attributed to jimiknits, sorry for the confusion.

You seem to have ended up with two nearly identical posts. You can hide the first one to help avoid confusion. You'll find the Options for doing that at the bottom of your post.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

So it looks like the number keys above the letters and the number keys in the num pad are treated as separate shortcuts in Publisher on Windows

No, if I use  keys &é"'(-è_çà, who become numbers only using the shift key, it's the same as hiting the numeric pad, shortcut are "ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc.", when using those shortcut with QXP on Mac was reconized as "ctrl+num pad 1", for example.

Theorically, those keys should be different, (different codes), but I don't have anymore a program to check those values (values of key, not result displayed after hitting them ).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.