You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i dont anymore find fill layer and in area filling and filled shapes dont have option Bitmap anymore.

MxHeppa

Layer > New Fill Layer from the Menu is what you want to get the layer. Then, in the Context Toolbar, you can change the Type pulldown to Bitmap. A dialog will open allowing you to select the bitmap file you want to use.

I'm not sure it's ever been possible to "fill" a geometrical shape with a bitmap, in the technical meaning of fill, but you could create your shape and paste an image into it (Edit > Paste Inside). Or Place an image onto your document and then drag it into the rectangle on the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure it's ever been possible to "fill" a geometrical shape with a bitmap, in the technical meaning of fill

Doesn't filing a geometric shap using the gradient tool with type set to bitmap do that?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Doesn't filing a geometric shap using the gradient tool with type set to bitmap do that?

Good point. I forgot about that tool, and yes, that works.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

The answer to that was provided in your other topic about this. (Though in Photo it is the Gradient Tool, not the Fill Tool mentioned there. Same tool, same icon, different names.)

-- Walt
PC:

yes know gradient should be set bitmap but there is no such option i can put screenshot if we talk same menu. and i think we talk becouse earlier older version i seen it. and i can use these papers in mask but this way i cannot use do yellow paper for example like their example where even non painted areas have paper texture. somehow i tried copy how they use them with no luck. i use Photo their video is made with Designer i unerstand methods are same even single menu item is different name.
I am serious even marque tool dont cut image to clip board but after restarting works again. there is my rectange filling options in gradient side. i understanded and i think i even seen in older version this menu this option what we talk. looks like most recent versio has wierd problems compared version what i loaded trial and registred after this.

menu.png

4 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

yes know gradient should be set bitmap but there is no such option i can put screenshot if we talk same menu.

You need to select the object, then the Gradient Tool, then use the Context Toolbar:
image.png.b2ea1cefb580b176ec50560f21177f81.png

Change the Type to Bitmap.

-- Walt
PC:

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You need to select the object, then the Gradient Tool, then use the Context Toolbar:
image.png.b2ea1cefb580b176ec50560f21177f81.png

Change the Type to Bitmap.

i found it and to me gradient tool icon is not most clear. even these icons are bit small my eyes in 2560x1440 32inch display i hope theyr bigger icon set someday. now i try wrote their video how do to paper. becouse this method allow make colour papers.
ps. i looked wrong menu as you see.

one way what i can use these papers is this (what i can use get niceresults but i dont know how correct this is to get real watercolor look even i use itself real ones).
new project where i put rectangle of color what i want (paper color) and top of this i convert one papers to mask and use multiply method. and sub layer to this paper coloured rectable i paint my stuff. then if i use erase i get again original paper. and mixing colours this method i used even this place multiply. somehow i have something in my understanding in orginally way do things.
somehow cutting stuff form photo with cutting tool dont work there is indeed something what i dont understand. try give soon picture what tells my settings. to use these papers at least one way.

My cropping tries goed better when even for screenshot which single layer of course i used copy flattened not only copy. there is my settings i used Multiply all palces expect drawing this muted purple rectangle. this is at least nice way use these papers i dont yet understand even  i tried what layer is what mode in original tutorial. now looks i understand this paper element (texture) should be overlay way. next learn this copy and paste menu.

At least affinity photo to get results what look i think same what in this video painting (pixel) layer should be sub of paper color rectangle. like this way:
a paper color is normal layer,paint is multiply and paper texture picture is overlay. this way looks i think how is they used in video even video somehow paint layer is not part of paper color layer.

i_mean_this_way.jpg

Or paper colour layer is after paint layer. actjually i looked video again (about 7th time at least) is indeed this way i see. easier is understand differnet order like paper color after this paper texture and then paint but i must use program how is desgined not think how sounds more clear to my brains. Seems now clear. i try do own notes about this.

and i found if i want invert some this kind paper it rasterize it after this i cannot change anymore without probelms paper if i must do again such paper texture layer. solution premade inverted picture wanted paper texture. paper texture means any picture what i want use this way some other images work nicely this way. and good remember is uses also color data form image.