You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error in Handling Colours from Sony A7Rii

Photo's raw engine is doing something very unpleasant to Sony Raw Files.

Please find attached a native raw file and  the same file after running through adobe's DNG converter.

Try to open both in Photo.  The Sony native raw file as when presented for view and after developing is awful - lots of detail lost in the leaves. Photo apparently handles the DNG file what appears to be  'correctly'.

So there is a work around pre process Sony Raw's with Adobe's DNG converter (which has batch option) - but it is an unwelcome extra step in the work flow. Can also use Sony's Imaging app to edit to output to jpeg but one at a time.  I have also included jpeg from Sony's Editing App.

Thanks in advance ... Gerry

Platform: Windows 10 64bit - Photo 1.7.3.481

DSC09718.ARW

DSC09718.dng

DSC09718fromsonyimaging.JPG

• Staff

Hi GerryFox1 :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - unfortunately I don't believe your .ARW RAW file has uploaded correctly, as the file is only 1,536KB and does not open in Affinity Photo for me. Could you please try re-uploading the RAW file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/GR3pxI50JlSjJsLtyeWD

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I've opened both the ARW (left) and DNG (right) file alongside one another in AP, below are screenshots of the 2 files at 100% zoom and I'm not seeing the lost detail you've previously referred to -

image.png

image.png

Were you viewing the image at 100%? Could you please provide a further explanation or example of your issue?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot/file Gerry, could you please open View>Assistant Manager... then select Develop Assistant... in the bottom left corner of this dialog and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

You colours also appear somewhat differently from my screenshot, could you please confirm whether you have an ICC profile set against your monitor through your OS?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, could you please change your 2 RGB profiles to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 then restart your app and reload your RAW file - does this help your RAW files appearance?

Please note -

Many thanks!