You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What’s to stop you from becoming subscription only or releasing software upgrades?

Hi guys

It seems the norm is to make software subscription based these days...

What’s to stop you lot from adopting a subscription only model later down the line or you lot releasing affinity 2 / 3 / 4 and so on? You are a business and the priority is to always make money. I fail to see how you’re always gonna make money by selling 1 time licenses. What happens when people stop buying the software and the money stops rolling in. 

Well.. yes. I can see exactly why. Our company does that too. Subscriptions are THE way to make money for the ongoing development process. One time license selling is nice but when the customer base is not wide enough to pay the developers with one time license sales, you need to think about another model.

Our company does a trick though. Huge companies (based on employees) pay more, smaller ones less. We do not have any non-commercial customers, but Affinity has these. Me for instance. : )

How about a "Home edition" for non-commercial users? This one could be a one-time license buy, no subscription necessary, not limited in functionality, but recieves features some months later than customers paying for subscription?

I, for myself, are happy with what Affinity products can do, so I do not necessarily need new features currently. - That's why I wouldn't pay for a subscription. Commercial users however, might wait for new features to finally arrive, so they can work with them/generate money.
Non commercial users most likely won't need new features immediately, so making them pay for development too is (imo) a bit unfair. Giving "them" the new features from a year ago in the home edition will mean no loss for Affinity, so why not. Who needs new features immediately should pay for them. - Fair.

Cif

8 hours ago, Eggy said:

or you lot releasing affinity 2 / 3 / 4 and so on?

Releases 2 / 3 / 4/ and so on will be paid upgrades not free, hence the money keeps rolling in as they release new major features

Upgrading will be optional as your existing version will always continue to work, so you will only pay to upgrade if you like what they have done/included in the new version

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.