You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Mesh workaround help

Hello, 

I am a stubborn lifetime Serif user. I have used Drawplus since I was 17 years old when version 4 was free and version 6 was new. I loved it and still use X8 today. 

I said I would not buy Affinity Designer until it has a gradient mesh tool but, I just want it too much. I am probably going to buy it today. 

Okay, so, with that decision, here is my question. It is both an Affinity and a CommunityPlus question so I will ask both places but I feel this may be the better place to ask. 

If I wanted to make an illustration in Affinity Designer, then export it in a format that DrawPlus X8 can read, and then use DrawPlus X8 to add a few meshes here and there, possibly add a missing nose to a face or add a complex glare to a shaped metal item, which format would be the best one to export my Designer image in? I think my choices are probably svg eps smf and maybe pdf. I thought perhaps since these programs are from the same devs, perhaps one of these formats out of Designer would be read well by DrawPlus  X8. Sure, elements will need to be flattened, no doubt, but, which format will keep the most?

If it is better that I use CorelDraw or Inkscape for the final mesh phase that works also, just let me know, but I prefer Drawplus overall, which is why I am excited to learn Designer finally.  CorelDraw is sort of famous for having wider format import support than many, so that may be better if there is a good format I do not know of that Affinity Designer and CorelDraw both support but DrawPlus X8 does not support. I am not very in the know on new formats or which vector formats Affinity is best with. PSD is great for collaborating on rasters but it is unclear which is the best one to collaborate with different software for a vector design. I do not subscribe to software, but aside from soon having Designer, I have Serif DrawPlus X8, CorelDraw X8, and can install Inkscape if needed. 

Since this is not a CorelDraw forum I will post the import formats supported by my version of Corel. The goal again is to export an Affinity Designer image to a program that has a mesh vector fill for a final edit and to retain as many vectors as vectors as possible, flattening as little as necessary of the Designer image in the transition to the other program. Here are the common files CorelDraw imports. There is a longer list at the link. 

• Adobe Illustrator (AI)
• Adobe Type 1 Font (PFB)
• Windows Bitmap (BMP)
• OS/2 Bitmap (BMP)
• Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM)
• CorelDRAW (CDR)
• Corel Presentation Exchange (CMX)
• Corel PHOTO-PAINT (CPT)
• Corel Symbol Library (CSL)
• Cursor Resource (CUR)
• Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX, or RTF)
• Microsoft Publisher (PUB)
• Corel DESIGNER (DES, DSF, DS4, or DRW)
• AutoCAD Drawing Database (DWG) and AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Format (DXF)
• Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
• PostScript (PS or PRN)
• GIF
• JPEG (JPG)
• JPEG 2000 (JP2)
• Kodak Photo CD Image (PCD)
• PICT (PCT)
• PaintBrush (PCX)
• Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
• HPGL Plotter File (PLT)
• Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
• Adobe Photoshop (PSD)
• Corel Painter (RIF)
• Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
• Adobe Flash (SWF)
• TARGA (TGA)
• TIFF
• Corel Paint Shop Pro (PSP)
• TrueType Font (TTF)
• Visio (VSD)
• WordPerfect Document (WPD)
• WordPerfect Graphic (WPG)
• RAW camera file formats
• Wavelet Compressed Bitmap (WI)
• Windows Metafile Format (WMF)

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005407707-CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite-X8-Supported-file-formats

Thank you. 

• Staff

Hi revo,

SVG, EPS and PDF would be the formats i would use to keep a vector workflow and should work fine in DrawPlus.  I'd always suggest checking out the 10 day trial of Designer from here:

https://affinity.serif.com/designer/trial 

I can't really advice when it comes to CorelDraw as i've never used that software, so don't know how they do things but i'd suspect using SVG, EPS or PDF would work.

Thanks, yes, but the question is, which will work best? I imagine someone here has done this, at least when Affinity was new. Someone must have tried all of the options to get an Affinity design into Drawplus X8 and figured out the most optimal settings. 

I mean, I would think that nobody knows better than Serif as to how Drawplus reads a PDF or an EPS or an SVG, and nobody knows better than Serif as how Affinity writes those files, so, the question of, how to best write a file from Affinity to be read by DrawPlus is reasonable to ask here. For example, I would guess that Affinity writes a newer form of SVG than Drawplus reads, would that assumption be correct? I would also imagine that EPS flattens more than PDF but I am unsure there. Does Affinity flatten an EPS more than a PDF? I would also guess Drawplus has better support for a PDF than an EPS, since PDF support dates to around X2 and EPS was new in X8. Will Drawplus be better with a PDF made by Affinity Designer or an EPS made by Affinity Designer? These are the sorts of things I am wanting to know. 

Thank you for your response. 

• 4 months later...

Nobody at Serif gives even half a shit about a twenty year user. I recommend boycotting the company entirely. I bought at least six versions of Drawplus and I was their largest fan until Affinity when they defecated in my mouth and told me to swallow it with a smile.