You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Red Overlay Mask Preview Like In Photoshop?

In Photoshop when you have drawn in a mask, or just have a mask, you can press the backslash key and see a red overlay semi transparent preview of what the mask looks like. Then you can use the brush tool and paint black and white to add or hide to the mask but you have that red overlay preview that helps you visualize. I know in Affinity you can use the alt/option and click on the mask to get the black-and-white visuals of the mask, but I am wanting the red overlay semi transparent preview because I find it so helpful. Does that feature not exist in affinity photo? If not, I would love to request it… Also, if there are any workarounds for now if that feature does not exist that would be greatly appreciated knowledge. Thank you…

I think you speak about Quick Mask

see the  Help F1

Extract :

"

To edit a selection using Quick Mask mode:

1. Do one of the following:
    • Press Q.
    • On the Toolbar, click Quick Mask.
    • From the Select menu, select Edit Selection As Layer.
  2. Click or drag on the page using any pixel-editing tool.
  3. Repeat step 1 to exit Quick Mask mode and display the selection as a marquee."

8 minutes ago, Max P said:

I think you speak about Quick Mask

Thanks for responding. 

No, I did not mean the Quick Mask feature. That one is about selections. 

I'm talking about just editing a Mask using the Brush (black and white) to add and subtract to a mask, which I know how to do, and even know how to option+click to see the mask in a B&W overlay. 

What I'm wanting is the Mask Preview feature, which is usually a semi-transparent red overlay (in Photoshop), to be able to fine tune a mask at the same time as being able to see through the red preview to the actual image. 

It's about refining the mask with a brush without going into Refine feature. 

I hope that makes sense. 

It's a standard feature in Photoshop that was quite handy all the time, and it's the only thing I miss from Ps. Thus, was wondering about it in Affinity. And if does not exist, if it can be added. 

Thanks.

I posted this a few days ago...

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Perhaps what you're interested in is this:

1. Right-click on the Layers panel thumbnail for a mask layer.
  2. Choose Refine Mask from the context menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps what you're interested in is this:

1. Right-click on the Layers panel thumbnail for a mask layer.
  2. Choose Refine Mask from the context menu.

Thanks for your response, Walt. But that's not what I meant. 

I'm sorry if I'm being unclear. 

I use Refine Mask all the time, especially for selections, etc; but I'm talking just seeing a mask in a semi-transparent red overly where I can brush black and white to fine tune the mask myself, as opposed to the Refine Mask feature (which is wonderful) that uses AI to help refine the mask's edges. 

Does that make sense? 

In Photoshop (which I do not miss, by the way; except for this feature: LOL), you click on the backslash key (above Return/Enter) to go into that feature if you're on a Mask, and then one can actually see/visualize the mask in a non black-and-white way, with that red overlay. I helps so much because one can actually see the image through the mask and can make minute changes with complete manual control.

Anyhow, it unfortunately seems to not be a feature, thus I'll add it to the Feature Requests forum. 

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Doren Sorell said:

I use Refine Mask all the time, especially for selections, etc; but I'm talking just seeing a mask in a semi-transparent red overly where I can brush black and white to fine tune the mask myself, as opposed to the Refine Mask feature (which is wonderful) that uses AI to help refine the mask's edges. 

Once you have right-cicked to get to Refine Mask for a selected mask layer, it is shown in red if you've chosen to preview in Overlay mode. Then, you can adjust the sliders in the dialog if you want, or simply paint on the mask with the adjustment brush. The dialog lets you chose whether to paint with the foreground or background color (white/black) and the size of the brush.

Perhaps there's still something I don't understand, but that seems to cover everything you've asked for.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1