You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Restore presets after updating to macOS Catalina

After updating my MacBook Pro to Catalina, my Affinity Publisher has lost all of the saved presets and assets I'd had. This includes page presets, Styles, many text and graphic assets, and more. This is a huge setback...please tell me there is a way to restore all of my information! (I do have regular backups through time machine of my entire computer)

• Staff

Hi paulsonb :)

I'm very sorry to hear this, this is the first report we've had of this since Catalinas release and upgrading Affinity or your OS should never remove these files.

AFAIK it's possible to restore certain folders using TimeMachine, so hopefully this will be possible here. Could you please confirm for me, do you own the Affinity Store or Mac App Store version of the app? This will change the location of the folder(s) we'll need to try and recover.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi eyanobi,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm, was your external backup made using TimeMachine, or another backup/recovery method? Was your app purchased through the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

My backups were made using Time Machine, and I've been able to successfully restore everything from there! Here's where I found everything that had gone missing:

Users > "username" > Library > Containers > com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher > Data > Library > Application Support > User

Inside that folder, the assets.propcol file is what I restored for my missing assets. I also had to restore my macros.propcol, doc_spread_presets.propcol and object styles.propcol files as all of my previously saved macros, document presets, and styles were missing.

In case it makes a difference, my affinity apps were all purchased through the Mac App Store. Hope this helps!

• Staff

I'm glad to hear you've been able to restore this data!

Many thanks for the information provided, I've forwarded this through to our QA team and we'll continue to investigate this further :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

16 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi eyanobi,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please confirm, was your external backup made using TimeMachine, or another backup/recovery method? Was your app purchased through the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store?

Hi Thanks

I restored my Mac after it was having "issues" ... I did not recover the back up and restore the Mac that way .. I wanted a fresh clean Mac to work with.  I have time Machine backups so I felt that was safe enough.  I wasn't aware I would lose all assets in the process ... but felt safe thinking they would be within the Affinity app somewhere once I "show all contents" and go on a search ... but nothing.  

So after reading paulsonb and his solution .... Well I am saved!!! So major props to paulsonb ... he should be on a payroll ;) 

10 hours ago, paulsonb said:

My backups were made using Time Machine, and I've been able to successfully restore everything from there! Here's where I found everything that had gone missing:

Users > "username" > Library > Containers > com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher > Data > Library > Application Support > User

Inside that folder, the assets.propcol file is what I restored for my missing assets. I also had to restore my macros.propcol, doc_spread_presets.propcol and object styles.propcol files as all of my previously saved macros, document presets, and styles were missing.

In case it makes a difference, my affinity apps were all purchased through the Mac App Store. Hope this helps!

This absolutely works!!! I saved a copy of the protocol file to my desktop ... opened the same folders on my current Mac and replaced the asset propcol ... restarted AFD and. ...Boom! Glory Days!  ... Huge Thanks!  

On 10/21/2019 at 9:29 PM, eyanobi said:

I wasn't aware I would lose all assets in the process ... but felt safe thinking they would be within the Affinity app somewhere once I "show all contents" and go on a search ... but nothing.  

You probably know this now but for those who might not, custom assets, macros, styles, & such are not stored in the app itself but in per user application support library folders. This is so that each user can have their own set, customized however they want.

On Macs, the path to this folder is slightly different depending on the store the app was purchased from. So if Publisher was purchased from the Affinity store the path will be Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7