You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I select a control point that coincides exactly with the transformed Origin?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

If you have Designer you can use outline mode. Use the node tool and click an adjacent node (if there are 2 adjacent nodes this only works for one of them). The nodes are square, the control points are circles. If this is what you mean.

image.png.5841946667e6ea72bebc543192195576.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I'm taking about a control point. I want to transform the object by selecting the control point that is coincident with the Transform origin at point A See attached file. This file is a very simple one and not the one I'm working with but it does illustrate the point.

Origin.afdesign

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

What is 'Point transform'? Will it allow me to select the control point under the Transform origin point?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

16 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Why not try it yourself?

And "enabling Transform origin" isn´t working for you?

I have no clue what you´re aiming for.

Cheers

Did you not see my file link with the example? Try and move the control point at A coincident with Transform origin without moving the origin.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

jackamus, I think what you might be thinking of is rotating the object while holding the ctrl key (on a mac) down and using the handle opposite the corner A.

No I'm not. I often move the origin in order to rotate groups around a non-group origin but this is not what I'm talking about here. All I want to do is to drag the control point at A (to resize the object) but without moving the origin.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 hours ago, jackamus said:

How do I select a control point that coincides exactly with the transformed Origin?

In your file Origin.afdesign I have no trouble selecting and moving the origin point but cannot move the corner point (A). That said, I don't really see what the need is for that though, I can use any of the others to move the thing by proxy as it were.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I dont seem to be able to get you all to do exactly what I asked. 

1Try and move the control point at A to resize the object without also selecting the origin.

2 I only want to move point A to resize the object.

3 I don't want to move the origin point because that will affect other object not shown in my file.

It may not make sense to you why I want to do that but just trust me! I have a more complicated drawing where this is a problem but I didn't want to send that file so I created a very simple one which is what I sent.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Great! You have done everything EXCEPT what I asked you to do and that is to select and move control point A to resize the object but without also selecting the origin at point A.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Looking back at your last comment I don't understand what you mean. What was it that you were asking?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

7 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Great! You have done everything EXCEPT what I asked you to do and that is to select and move control point A to resize the object but without also selecting the origin at point A.

You are saying the origin is point A, and you want to move point A to resize the object, and you want it resized around point A?

If you are moving point A how can it not move?  I think the answer is that what you want is not possible.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I agree but it should be possible because I'm not trying to do something that AD is not designed to do.

I should be able to move any control point to resize an object. The origin has nothing to do with resizing. If you hide the origin then you can move point A. Maybe this is the answer but supposing I want to keep the origin always in view? Am I just being bloody-minded?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Move one of the other points, why do you have to move A which is where the origin is?  As long as shift and cmd are down it won't matter.

When you grab point A to resize are you garbing the Origin or the corner of the bounding box?  To test that I just looked at the cursor and it's the cursor for the Origin point not the corner.  If you offset the Origin slightly then holding shift & cmd down it works.  But it's offset.  There is no way to tell AD to grab the corner not the Origin point.  I guess in other words the origin is on the top of the corner and therefore hides the corner.  Sorry.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Many thanks.

You have solved the problem for me. My error was in trying to use the Origin cursor as a Move cursor. I need to take more care in knowing which cursor I'm using.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

That is because my file has the 'Enable transform origin' cursor selected. You need to check which cursor you are using. You cannot move a control point if the cursor is the 'Enable transform origin' cursor. You need to select the Move tool to move a control point. That was the mistake I was making.

Edited by jackamus
Added comment

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

One thing I have discovered which I didn't know before is that the (Enable Transform) Origin  point is in a one-way fixed link to the object. You can obviously move the Origin point to wherever you want but you can't transform the object without changing the Origin (apart from obvious special cases where the Origin is on the object. The Origin is fixed to the object it refers to - that's why it's called the Origin.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

37 minutes ago, jackamus said:

You cannot move a control point if the cursor is the 'Enable transform origin' cursor. You need to select the Move tool to move a control point.

I think "enable transform origin" is just an option of the move tool. Disabling it does allow me to drag the control point, but then what @MickRose said comes into play: Moving the control point will also move the origin with it. So if I get this right, there's no way to keep the origin of an object at a fixed point on the canvas so it would always remain in place, independent from the object's position.