You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to make the Pen tool default to Line mode?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Jackamus,

There is no way to do this at the moment I'm afraid.

C

I'd suggest it as requested feature but I fear it would be a waste of time.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
1 minute ago, jackamus said:

I'd suggest it as requested feature but I fear it would be a waste of time.

I wouldn't say submitting a feature request is a waste of time however defaults for tools is something that has been request many times in the past and is something that is on our agenda to be added in the future.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

3 minutes ago, Callum said:

I wouldn't say submitting a feature request is a waste of time however defaults for tools is something that has been request many times in the past and is something that is on our agenda to be added in the future.

Yes I know that. Can you say how many suggested features have been offered and how many have been used since AD was published?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
2 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Yes I know that. Can you say how many suggested features have been offered and how many have been used since AD was published?

Theres no definitive list but two that immediately come to mind is the rope pull (stabiliser) feature for the brush tool and things such as Dark UI.

That's two and  I had one that was adopted so that makes three in how many years?

Was the Dark UI a requested feature, because there have been many complaints about it lack of contrast?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
20 hours ago, jackamus said:

That's two and  I had one that was adopted so that makes three in how many years?

Was the Dark UI a requested feature, because there have been many complaints about it lack of contrast?

Light UI was a heavily requested feature upon the apps launch along with a Windows edition as a matter of fact. Just because 3 have been mentioned doesn't mean there only are 3 I will see if anyone has a list but this isn't something I'm about to get into an argument about. The Feature Requests section would not exist if it didn't serve a purpose.

1 minute ago, Callum said:

Dark UI was a heavily requested feature upon the apps launch along with a Windows edition as a matter of fact. Just because I listed 3 doesn't mean there only are 3 I will see if anyone has a list but this isn't something I'm about to get into an argument about. The Feature Requests section would not exist if it didn't serve a purpose.

No I don't want to start an argument. I'm just saying that people who request features do so in the high expectation that it will get included. When you have made many of these requests and nothing happens then expectations get reduced and cynicism takes over. I could offer a stack of suggestions all to do with being able to draw in perspective. In fact I did this way back when AD was first published - ask Matt!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

18 hours ago, jackamus said:

I'm just saying that people who request features do so in the high expectation that it will get included.

If you spend a little time browsing through the feature request forum, several things should become fairly obvious.  Among them:

• There have been many different feature requests.
  • Even among those that are functionally similar, there are quite a few different ideas about how they should be implemented.
  • Some would be applicable to only a few workflows & would interfere with many others.
  • Some would require changes to the native file format, creating compatibility issues with earlier app versions.
  • Some would require extensive changes to the core executable code, requiring extensive testing to debug.
  • Some would require reworking hundreds of resources (icons, tooltips, descriptive texts), including whatever must be done to accommodate all the supported languages/localizations.
  • Some could not be implemented at all due to limitations or restrictions built into one or more of the three supported operating systems.
  • To the extent possible, every added feature should either be available in or at least not cause issues with any of the three apps running on any of the three supported operating systems, & for each of the different store app versions.

I could keep going but the point is it is not reasonable to expect some feature to be added just because some users, even a lot of them, request it, or to be added as quickly as they would like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, Callum said:

Dark UI was a heavily requested feature

*Light UI

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

42 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I could keep going but the point is it is not reasonable to expect some feature to be added just because some users, even a lot of them, request it, or to be added as quickly as they would like.

I fully agree - except I do think that the features I want to be added should be added straight away! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Having revealed this level of difficulty in adding new suggested features I get the impression that the developers have to first to try out a suggestion to see if it will conflict with your list. This looks like a very time consuming procedure with no guarantee it will be practical.

For example adding a dimension too, which most other graphic software seem to have even at a basic level including Serif's DrawPlus. How do developers go about deciding if it is worth doing?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0