You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gaussian Blur Export to Tiff - correct amount not applied

GFS

I have a gaussian blur layer, which when exported to tiff, is not applied to the same level (amount) as the screen preview in AFP 1.7.3.

In order to have the same amount of blur in the exported tiff, I have to increase the blur radius from 0.9 to 3.8px 

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

When you previewed it in 1.7.3, were you at 100% zoom? If not, perhaps the on-screen rendering of the blur was not accurate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt.

You're correct.. and there I was thinking that zoom to 100% to see if, e.g. banding is really there, days we're over.  Ho hum.

*However*

This remains an issue.  I need to be able to see my entire image on-screen, in order to judge how much blur I want to apply.  Zooming in to 100% on a ~100 megapixel image is completely unworkable in this regard.

So at the moment, in order to see how much blur I want, I have to make a guess in AFP, Export to tiff, look at that, go back, adjust, Export to tiff, look at that, go back adjust, Export to tiff, look at that ... I think we call this a problem.  The AFP preview (on-screen image)  needs to be accurate.

I wonder if this isn't a decision about speed by Serif.  I expect that AFP has a pyramid of internal jpegs for display and adjusts on the fly for in-betweens.  Blur is slow to calculate and can bring AFP to it's knees in processing ... although this has improved significantly with 1.7x.  Perhaps it would be enough to simply offer a checkbox to use 'accurate' previews, when desired.  My old favourite imaging app had this waaaayyy back in the mid90s.  A simple toggle between speed and accuracy.

2 hours ago, GFS said:

A simple toggle between speed and accuracy.

You could create a feature request for that; it does sound useful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1