You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparency vector mask based on black and white?

Hi,

I am very used to using this in Illustrator and really hope this is also possible in Affinity or will be possible in the future. 

The 'vector masks' as well as the 'erase blend mode' seem to do only clipping and do not use the black/white values and the Transparency tool is just for gradients, as far as I can tell.

Any info on this or suggestions?

Thanks. :) 

I did some testing with a a simplified version of what I wanted to achieve, and was able to create this, with a fairly complicated setup:

1502550594_Screenshot2019-10-17at22_57_24.thumb.png.8f0d28563ad5959fc18df90eaaac202a.png

But still can't figure out if there is a way to make the darker boxes (which now appear more white) transparant to the background image . Please let me know if you know a way. :) 

Here is this file: Test_Masking.afpub

Didn't know about that feature yet, but it's a great feature.

Indeed; when I apply that on the mask layer (that is underneath the 'content' layer on which the Screen blend-mode is applied), I get a the whites transparent.

1256208325_Screenshot2019-10-18at11_50_19.thumb.png.f986a40250d92ac8d2c519839e893d5b.png

But when I turn on my content layer with the Screen blend-mode, the 'transparent' areas tend to become more white then an original opacity on a layer would have it (with 'Normal' as a blend mode, as you see here on the right). And the upper box truly transparant boxes from the mask don't make a the object fully transparent there.

895435992_Screenshot2019-10-18at12_22_17.thumb.png.9d5a21118d761a4d31a3be8d9ad115d7.png

Also: when I place a darker background underneath it, the content doesn't seem to mix with that black as a transparent object would. (And I want a dark color as the background for my project, but might want to change that color, so true transparency would be good)

1319213760_Screenshot2019-10-18at12_02_12.thumb.png.ed6d7bdcfe6251a0403efa714aec53da.png

Is there maybe some crazy blend-mode trick, Photo Persona trick or something that would mimic a transparency mask right here in combinations with these things I have applied here? :) Or otherwise: Is this something that is being considered as a future feature?

Thanks again.

Haha, will think about it, but it's a private project right now. Maybe i'll release it someday.

Anyways: Discovered this "Blend Ranges" is also possible on layers with "Erase" as a blend mode. That makes it even more amazing because then I can just work on the grouped objects without having to 'release the mask'.