You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ZOOM NOT WORKING!!

Bobbie

Not sure if this is an issue or a limitation of Publisher. When I use the text tool I cannot zoom in or out. For example — If I am typing in a text box and I want to make a font bigger or smaller I cannot just zoom out, the zoom only works once I click the pointer tool, click off the text box and then zoom out. It's a very simple process but the idea that I have to change the tool, click off the text box, zoom out... and then re-select the text tool and then re-select the text box is a pain in the backside. Surely there is something I'm doing wrong...?? or is that just a limitation of the program and it's un-able to do that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ctrl+= and Ctrl+- work for me while I'm editing in a Text Frame.

But if you want to zoom some other way, press Esc or click the edge of the frame to stop editing, then V for the Move Tool, do your zoom, then click back in the Text Frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Actually, this is something I have noticed too, and I have been meaning to report it. When I am typing in text, I cannot zoom in with cmd+, but I can zoom out with cmd-. When the focus is not inside a text frame, the feature does work.

I am on a macOS 10.14.6 with Publisher 1.7.3, US English keyboard layout.

@Bobbie Can you confirm that you cannot zoom out while typing, because it is only zoom in that does not work for me? It may be the difference between the two commands, because although we usually say the shortcuts are cmd- and cmd+, the reality is that the minus (or rather hyphen) is typed without the shift modifier, while the plus requires the shift, else one gets an underscore. So technically, cmd- and cmd_ (underscore) are the combinations that work normally.

Actually, I just tried it, and if you are in the text mode, then you can zoom out with cmd-shift-+.

59 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

although we usually say the shortcuts are cmd- and cmd+

The documented defaults on Windows are Ctrl+= (i.i., no shift key to get a + sign) and Ctrl+-. Are they described differently in your View menu (or in your Preferences for Keyboard Shortcuts)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Are they described differently in your View menu (or in your Preferences for Keyboard Shortcuts)?

This is how they appear:

948004071_ScreenShot2019-10-17at1_07_18PM.png.cb7a79f27651714bbf099cd78d651475.png

However, there are two, possible related, things that I brought up. One is just the observation (not specific to Publisher) that the + on the keyboard (US English at least) requires a shift key to get a plus, otherwise it is an equal sign (I erroneously said underscore in the previous post), while the hyphen key does not require the shift. So if we were being consitent, the shortcuts are actually ⌘= and ⌘-, but of course our minds don't work that way, and I am not recommending the change. I just make the observation because I think it helps us narrow down what is going wrong.

Now, on to what Publisher is doing (and here I'll just use the + symbol to refer the key that has the plus and equal sign printed on it).

When outside of text mode (such as with the move tool selected):

⌘+ zooms in

⌘- zooms out

⇧⌘+ zooms in

⇧⌘- zooms out

However, when editing text:

⌘+ does nothing at all

⌘- zooms out

⇧⌘+ zooms in

⇧⌘- inserts a soft hyphen

In all Apple apps, the Zoom In is CMD+ and does NOT require the shift key. ...and it works that way in Affinity apps.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, nwhit said:

In all Apple apps, the Zoom In is CMD+ and does NOT require the shift key. ...and it works that way in Affinity apps.

I agree that it should be that way, but the bug report is that it does not work that way in Publisher 1.7.3 when editing text, at least on my system, which is macOS 10.14.6 with the US English keyboard layout.

56 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I agree that it should be that way, but the bug report is that it does not work that way in Publisher 1.7.3 when editing text, at least on my system, which is macOS 10.14.6 with the US English keyboard layout.

I use the extended keyboard and the + - keys on the keypad allow me to use command +/ command - for zooming while editing text. But the 'regular' + - keys behave exactly as you described earlier.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

That's a helpful clarification. I have been using the "regular" keys.

Helpful only for those of us who sprang for the extended keyboard. [smiley-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

Actually, this is something I have noticed too, and I have been meaning to report it. When I am typing in text, I cannot zoom in with cmd+, but I can zoom out with cmd-. When the focus is not inside a text frame, the feature does work.

I am on a macOS 10.14.6 with Publisher 1.7.3, US English keyboard layout.

@Bobbie Can you confirm that you cannot zoom out while typing, because it is only zoom in that does not work for me? It may be the difference between the two commands, because although we usually say the shortcuts are cmd- and cmd+, the reality is that the minus (or rather hyphen) is typed without the shift modifier, while the plus requires the shift, else one gets an underscore. So technically, cmd- and cmd_ (underscore) are the combinations that work normally.

Actually, I just tried it, and if you are in the text mode, then you can zoom out with cmd-shift-+.

Yeah I had a good play with the shortcuts last night and I can only zoom out with 'CMD - SHIFT - +' whilst typing in a text frame. Surely across the whole program not depending on what tool you're using the shortcuts remain universally the same ( CMD - + & CMD - —)....?

5 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

This is how they appear:

948004071_ScreenShot2019-10-17at1_07_18PM.png.cb7a79f27651714bbf099cd78d651475.png

However, there are two, possible related, things that I brought up. One is just the observation (not specific to Publisher) that the + on the keyboard (US English at least) requires a shift key to get a plus, otherwise it is an equal sign (I erroneously said underscore in the previous post), while the hyphen key does not require the shift. So if we were being consitent, the shortcuts are actually ⌘= and ⌘-, but of course our minds don't work that way, and I am not recommending the change. I just make the observation because I think it helps us narrow down what is going wrong.

Now, on to what Publisher is doing (and here I'll just use the + symbol to refer the key that has the plus and equal sign printed on it).

When outside of text mode (such as with the move tool selected):

⌘+ zooms in

⌘- zooms out

⇧⌘+ zooms in

⇧⌘- zooms out

However, when editing text:

⌘+ does nothing at all

⌘- zooms out

⇧⌘+ zooms in

⇧⌘- inserts a soft hyphen

That's exactly how ZOOMING works for me (above)
@garrettm30 you're on the money! :2_grimacing:

Why do you think this is different?

14 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Why do you think this is different?

I don't know exactly, because I think it will take a developer to sort it out beyond this point, but I suspect it has to do with the zoom in shortcut actually being ⌘= (as Walt has pointed out is what is stated to be the case in Windows) rather than truly + as we naturally think of it. Normally when typing, the software needs to know the difference in whether one is pressing shift or not, so as to type a plus or an equal sign. Somehow that seems to be affecting how the shortcut is interpreted, but I'll leave the rest to Serif. Indeed, I am already in the realm of guessing as it is.

I think we have given Serif enough clues to identify what we are seeing, and I am confident they can work it out.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Helpful only for those of us who sprang for the extended keyboard.

I meant helpful in pointing out the distinction so that the developers know which keys we are talking about. I too have been on an extended keyboard this whole time, but I was using the standard portion of the keyboard when I was reporting, and I had not specified that fact. So you took care of the ambiguity I had unwittingly left.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon