Deviation

Justify Left is Justifying Center Instead

I uploaded this tex document as a rich text document, then changed the text to "body" which I had set to justify left. As you can see in the attached image, the program says it's justifying left when it is not. I've attempted changing the formatting, restarting the program, and so forth and nothing seems to bring forth any change in results. 

If this isn't a bug but a known fix I apologize, I browsed the forums but didn't see anything regarding this issue. 

image.thumb.png.b80eaa23f84687c082591a2d9eecae60.png

I guess there are Line Breaks (Shift+Return) where the formatting "fails". Change the Line Breaks (Shift+Return) into Paragraph Breaks (Return).

Off topic, there are some errors in the text shown in the screenshot. It should say “a day to day basis” instead of “a day to day bases” (and my personal preference would be to hyphenate “day-to-day” and “ever-growing”). “It irritated him to no end” should read “It irritated him no end”.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the phrase “far and few”: it’s always been “few and far” (usually in the phrase “few and far between”). In any case, I don’t see how “few” makes sense if you’re discussing distance.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

For what it's worth (and contradicting the subject of this topic), it seems to be acting like it is set to Justify All, not Justify Left.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

it seems to be acting like it is set to Justify All, not Justify Left

No, have a look at the icon(s) selected.

26 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, have a look at the icon(s) selected.

Yes, the icon is for Justify Left. The behavior is Justify All (not Justify Center, as the topic title says).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

To add a little bit more to this conversation, and Walt hit the nail on the head, I will say that the particular "icon" being displayed has several choices hidden until you drop that menu down - then you see the *other* icons for different justification choices. I would have preferred to not hide those behind a single icon, but I've gotten used to it now.

Also, there is a vertical position icon - now here is where there is a small bug. If you click it and choose to position to "top" and then position again to "top", the s/w toggles between "center" and "top" (and continues ad infinitum). It's not hard to change it, but one needs to look at the resulting icon to see if it displays the position you really want, i.e., making sure you position at top and not center. I don't have the program open just now to verify, but I suspect that "bottom" and "center" might behave similarly.

21 minutes ago, thetasig said:

I will say that the particular "icon" being displayed has several choices hidden until you drop that menu down - then you see the *other* icons for different justification choices. I would have preferred to not hide those behind a single icon, but I've gotten used to it now.

But the icon will show the currently selected justification option, at least if all the selected text has the same justification value. I'm not sure what it shows if any of the selected paragraphs has different justification from the others.

-- Walt

Walt, you are correct and thanks for pointing that out. I am hoping this (vertical position) will be treated as a bug though. I don't think that action is meant to be a "toggle"

On 10/17/2019 at 5:19 AM, Pauls said:

Could you upload the afpub and rtf file here please

Uploaded; thank you for listening. 

To everyone else, thank you as well!

The justification oddities do appear to be caused by line breaks in the original text. These will need replacing.

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left