You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Justify Left is Justifying Center Instead

I uploaded this tex document as a rich text document, then changed the text to "body" which I had set to justify left. As you can see in the attached image, the program says it's justifying left when it is not. I've attempted changing the formatting, restarting the program, and so forth and nothing seems to bring forth any change in results. 

If this isn't a bug but a known fix I apologize, I browsed the forums but didn't see anything regarding this issue. 

image.thumb.png.b80eaa23f84687c082591a2d9eecae60.png

I guess there are Line Breaks (Shift+Return) where the formatting "fails". Change the Line Breaks (Shift+Return) into Paragraph Breaks (Return).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Off topic, there are some errors in the text shown in the screenshot. It should say “a day to day basis” instead of “a day to day bases” (and my personal preference would be to hyphenate “day-to-day” and “ever-growing”). “It irritated him to no end” should read “It irritated him no end”.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the phrase “far and few”: it’s always been “few and far” (usually in the phrase “few and far between”). In any case, I don’t see how “few” makes sense if you’re discussing distance.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For what it's worth (and contradicting the subject of this topic), it seems to be acting like it is set to Justify All, not Justify Left.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

it seems to be acting like it is set to Justify All, not Justify Left

No, have a look at the icon(s) selected.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

26 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, have a look at the icon(s) selected.

Yes, the icon is for Justify Left. The behavior is Justify All (not Justify Center, as the topic title says).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

To add a little bit more to this conversation, and Walt hit the nail on the head, I will say that the particular "icon" being displayed has several choices hidden until you drop that menu down - then you see the *other* icons for different justification choices. I would have preferred to not hide those behind a single icon, but I've gotten used to it now.

Also, there is a vertical position icon - now here is where there is a small bug. If you click it and choose to position to "top" and then position again to "top", the s/w toggles between "center" and "top" (and continues ad infinitum). It's not hard to change it, but one needs to look at the resulting icon to see if it displays the position you really want, i.e., making sure you position at top and not center. I don't have the program open just now to verify, but I suspect that "bottom" and "center" might behave similarly.

21 minutes ago, thetasig said:

I will say that the particular "icon" being displayed has several choices hidden until you drop that menu down - then you see the *other* icons for different justification choices. I would have preferred to not hide those behind a single icon, but I've gotten used to it now.

But the icon will show the currently selected justification option, at least if all the selected text has the same justification value. I'm not sure what it shows if any of the selected paragraphs has different justification from the others.

-- Walt
PC: