You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here's 2 ways that I did (rough job) just now:

First, make a rough selection of the hands and Duplicate to a new layer. Use the HSL tool to isolate the skin color. Then, I increased saturation a bit and increased luminosity a bit as well.

1624474378_LightenhandswithHSL.jpg.c37e6a5ccf0c91dae783c62806f7126b.jpg

Second, I did a selection (followed by a refine selection and a minimal feather) to choose the hands, duplicated to a new layer, and set that layer's blend mode to Screen. Opacity down to 40% in this case.

166555372_LightenhandswithScreen.jpg.a0df503b44e2d26aeb71e154802269f1.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

On 10/16/2019 at 6:50 PM, smadell said:

Here's 2 ways that I did (rough job) just now:

First, make a rough selection of the hands and Duplicate to a new layer. Use the HSL tool to isolate the skin color. Then, I increased saturation a bit and increased luminosity a bit as well.

1624474378_LightenhandswithHSL.jpg.c37e6a5ccf0c91dae783c62806f7126b.jpg

Second, I did a selection (followed by a refine selection and a minimal feather) to choose the hands, duplicated to a new layer, and set that layer's blend mode to Screen. Opacity down to 40% in this case.

166555372_LightenhandswithScreen.jpg.a0df503b44e2d26aeb71e154802269f1.jpg

Thank you so much!

To make these edits even more concise, there’s no real need to duplicate any portion of the original pixel layer. In the first case, you can make the selection on the Background and simply add an HSL adjustment. The selection will mask the effect, and you can further refine its effect by limiting the color range it acts on. In the second case, you can make the selection of the hands on the Background, then add a levels adjustment. Don’t move any of the sliders at all - just set the Levels adjustment to Screen and adjust the opacity as desired.

These refinements are a little “cleaner,” and probably result in somewhat smaller file sizes too.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17