You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Check Spelling and Hyphenation

thetasig

I just imported a PDF of a text file. It has the word "representatives" hyphenated (hard coded) at the end of a line: representa-tives. The import worked perfectly. However, AFPUB flagged the word as misspelled. It was underlined in red. I thought "well, that is not misspelled, it's just hyphenated"  so I didn't expect the red line. It wasn't until I replaced that hyphen with an AFPUB "Soft hyphen" that it became spelled "correctly" with no red line. I noted that the Soft hyphen is virtual and cannot be selected by itself. Maybe that is why the spell check sees it as spelled correctly.

I'm not sure it's really a bug but decidedly unexpected. I wonder if importing en-dashes used as hyphenation might require a different way of thinking to avoid the misspelling.

8 minutes ago, Pauls said:

We are displaying the text as exported to the PDF. Maybe we should have a look into guessing if the hyphen is meant to be a soft one

Yes, you can do it...Xara can. The screen shot has as-opened in an Xara application. The upper half is as opened. The lower half I simple resized the text frame until the word in question dropped fully to the second line.

1.png.46cc2b873d4fc6b1f34fabe1d2ff28c1.png

Just to clarify, the example file was not exported by AFPUB. It was generated externally by a third party (unknown) and then imported into AFPUB. The hyphen in that file is an en-dash. You are correct, Pauls, it might be very difficult to determine how to handle hyphens as there are at least two variant usages of the en-dash. One is an end-of-line break in a word, which hyphen would be omitted if the word did not fall at the end of the line, and the other are compound words, i.e., "pick-me-up," and those would need to be kept intact. My suspicion is the user would, at some point before or after the import, have to intervene to check each instance and make a choice of what type of dash to use. A simple find and replace would be the easiest way for the user to make any corrections needed, that is, until AI is perfected :-)

MikeW - sorry, our posts collided. That's a great idea. I just checked Zara's descriptions at their site and it seems very useful. There was some talk in Beta about including a future grammar check along with spelling, maybe that can all be packaged together.

The hyphen in"representatives" is not an endash. It really is a hyphen. If you place the cursor at the end of the hyphen, and from the Text menu select the Toggle Unicode (alt+u), you will see the Unicode value of U+002D, which is a hyphen.

The issue with APub may be that the pdf creator, which was the mac application Pages, didn't actually encode the Unicode values for any of the glyphs except a single one and APub is not making sense of it mere position (which is correct) in the pdf.

The font report from the pdf shows the lack of encoding. Like with the quotesingle glyph at the left side of the top line, each and every glyph should have its Unixoce name and/or Unicode value. While this is a fact, I haven't tried a properly encoded pdf to see if Affinity software would recognize it and actually use a discretionary hyphen like Xara does.

Capture_000278.png.35741b7008f0435db092519b08c80a74.png

For what it is worth, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer (Or the way more expensive Designer Pro) is my favorite pdf editing tool.