You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do You Combine Shapes?

Attached are a series of screenshots for reference. I just want to combine the four layers into one shape. See the results with each boolean option. None of them accomplish simply combining them as they look live. For reference, the fill color is hidden. Each layer is stroked. Please advise.

Thank you,

KC

Live

Live.JPG.9ee25eddf72ccdef6a3256a24de304a5.JPG

Add

Add.JPG.7034972b785754b398946d3c7a39dd03.JPG

Subtract

Subtract.JPG.6751bf6c865a87434126d0850cae019c.JPG

Intersect

Intersect.JPG.945ae43f8106cd97d57aa6eadb3b9544.JPG

XOR

XOR.JPG.9c7f5db7057895c6668c8bf4437f8bb1.JPG

Divide

Divide.JPG.7f20d5bd5971a88f0f2178346f0968ea.JPG

@KCP, it would help if you can attach the .afdesign file with the 4 shapes in it to a post so we can see how they are constructed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, both before  than I tried after Expand curves.  It is frustrating! I want to create typograpghy  overlays of for cutting files and cannot do it untill I master tyhis bit!  Someone did suggest I select the 'filled holes' then erade them, but that would take too much time.. Not very practical. Just frustrating!!

Why not just create a compound1616767659_ScreenShot2019-10-17at11_50_39.thumb.png.b164c8ef95f66c22fe3e8a6b2f0c44da.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, LyricsGirl said:

Umm I am wanting to combine TEXT as well as shapes.. Mainly Text..  What is a compound?

So much to learn!

Compounds provide a flexible approach to creating a variety of shapes from separate objects using Boolean operations.

Unlike joining objects, creating a Compound is a non-destructive process. This means a Compound can be added to, or broken apart, at any time. Objects within the Compound can also be removed and modified without restriction, if and when desired.

Objects within a Compound interact with each other depending on their individual compound mode. This mode can be changed at any time; each mode can be previewed in realtime on selection.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/compound.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here is a short video on how to get want you asked for.

merge-multiple-curves.gif

• Staff

Hi LyricsGirl,
Yes, you can perform boolean operations (add, subtract etc) with text. You can also do it while keeping the text editable using compounds. For example draw two independent letters with the Artistic Text Tool, make sure they overlap each other, with both selected press and hold alt and click the Add boolean operation icon in the main toolbar - this generates a compound object which you can expand in the Layers panel (clicking the small arrow on the left of the thumbnail) so you can select/access and edit the two letters individually.

15 hours ago, LyricsGirl said:

When I ADD all shapes/layers especially TEXT, 'holes' fill  and so it ends up a mess.

How are you adding the components of the text, Angela? The counters (‘holes’) will fill in if you divide, because you’re separating the ‘hole’ shape from the surrounding shape, but they shouldn’t fill in if you’re adding the letter to itself or a copy of itself.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

How are you adding the components of the text, Angela? The counters (‘holes’) will fill in if you divide, because you’re separating the ‘hole’ shape from the surrounding shape, but they shouldn’t fill in if you’re adding the letter to itself or a copy of itself.

I AM ADDING in Boolean! That is why I am frustrated!   I am also wondering.. as I do not create fonts is it possiblwethe font is at fault?  e.g. I do se some  free fonts. The ones I have purchased are not cheap ones... but purchased when they were  on a really great price deal..

It is getting late here (Ozs).. so  later tomorrow I will do a screen recording of me creating a text  working and attempting to combine using the ADD boolean so you can see what I mean!  Thank you everyone.I really appreciate your assistance! Especially as this post id someone elses!!

18 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Here is a short video on how to get want you asked for.

I noticed you used an 'expand stroke' step in the video. The OP mentioned that in the screenshots the curves were stroked & their fill colors were "hidden". I'm not sure if that means the fill color(s) were temporarily set to no color or what, but if each curve was originally a simple shape with a stroke & fill, I don't think the end result would be quite what the OP wanted, assuming it was a single shape that could be filled with a color covering the inside of the overall shape.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, LyricsGirl said:

later tomorrow I will do a screen recording of me creating a text  working and attempting to combine

It will obviously be easiest for others to confirm your results if you can reproduce the effect with a free font.

Sleep well! sleep1.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)