You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting Text from the Layers panel

Sometimes I have text inside of groups that it gets hard to access it to make a change. Unless some one can fill me in on how to select it when it's buried inside a group, it would be nice to double click the text in the layers panel and it highlight the text on the canvas so we can make edits.

1 minute ago, MickRose said:

Couldn't you use Outline view mode to help select text?

Great, thanks but couldn't it just be good as well to do this without jumping into Outline Mode? It seems so easy to do it inside this mode though, they should just let us do it.

Normally you just double-click the text inside the group to get the text frame / artistic text selected. Only problem here could be overlapping text frames. Anyway, the Layer Panel for selecting the text is just a click away. A direct highlight of the text is not possible afaik. It is hard to guess whether you want to move the text or edit it.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Normally you just double-click the text inside the group to get the text frame / artistic text selected. Only problem here could be overlapping text frames. Anyway, the Layer Panel for selecting the text is just a click away. A direct highlight of the text is not possible afaik. It is hard to guess whether you want to move the text or edit it.

Inside of Outline mode lets me do everything including direct selecting if needed, or highlight the text if needed. All of this is good, I'm just wishing this functionality was available in Preview mode.

If you double-click the layer icon then the frame containing the text will be selected, and zoomed to fit on the screen. Perhaps that will help?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

Sometimes I have text inside of groups that it gets hard to access it to make a change.

Hello @evtonic3,

as far as I know you always can switch to the Text Tool and click into the text, event though it is burried inside of a group or multiple groups. You also can double click multiple times and drill down through the elemts of the group.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff
20 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

Sometimes I have text inside of groups that it gets hard to access it to make a change. Unless some one can fill me in on how to select it when it's buried inside a group, it would be nice to double click the text in the layers panel and it highlight the text on the canvas so we can make edits.

Hi evtonic3,
Place the cursor over the text you want to edit and click to select/edit it. It it picks another text frame which have text overlapping the first one, press and hold alt and click again in the same place. Repeat as needed until the text frame you want gets selected (pressing and holding alt and clicking somewhere over overlapping objects allows you to cycle between them). If the text frames are inside a group double-click the first time to enter the group first then proceed as described above.

2 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

I'm just wishing this functionality was available in Preview mode.

We are in the AD forum and AD doesn't have a Preview mode??

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff
16 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

How does this work when it's clicked and unclicked? I can't see a difference.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.50.42 AM.png

When enabled you can select any object no matter what layer it is contained within. With it disabled you can only select objects contained within a single (selected) layer.