You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing NIK without Photoshop?

Hi all, I just took a clean install with macOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro as it started to be really slow and full of old crap I never use anymore and I only wants to use it for creative work anyway.. but it means I don't have Photoshop installed anymore..and I would prefer not to. Can I still install the NIK plugins and use with Affinity Photo plugins, even if I don't have the Photoshop plugin folder on my Mac? 

If yes, can anyone please explain how? :-) 

No problem. You just need to tell Photo where the Nik .8bf files are. Use Edit > Preferences > Photoshop Plugins, then navigate to each folder an click on Add.  You will need to restart Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi 276ccm,
Yes, you can but you have to create a folder during the Nik installation to specify where the plugin files will be installed otherwise only the standalone apps will be installed.

Follow the instructions on this video. Pay attention to the section that starts at 0:40s where James click the "+" button to add a custom folder to where install the plugin files. This folder must be created manually by you. James has created it on his desktop and called it Plugins but I advise you to create the folder inside the Applications folder on your Mac and call it Photoshop Plugins (or whatever you see fit). Then, when you click the "+" button (as in the 0:40s in the video) point it to that folder you just created and continue following the rest of the instructions in the video. The Nik installer will create a new folder named/labelled DxO inside the folder you created - this is where all plugin files will be placed - and its the folder you have to browse to/add to the Plugin Search Folder section in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preferences.