You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

edit Vector Smart Objects from PSD files

Affinity designer opens PSD files like a charm but editing of vector smart objects is not possible because they're loaded as pixel objects. Is it possible to make them editable?

It's one of the things I frequently use photoshop for and if Aff. Designer could do this.. I'm in :-)

• Staff

I don't see why not.  I can look into it.

If you have an example PSD file, that would help.  I'm generally writing PSD import based on test files.  The documentation is next to non-existent for the specifics of the PSD file format since CS1, so we can only really work things out from actual example files.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...

I can double-click a smart object in Photoshop and it opens in Affinity Designer (great!) but when I save it it wants to save a new affinity file which is fine but then when I go back to Photoshop it doesn't update the smart object. Is this something that's only doable between Adobes own products? I've attached an example. FYI in order to get the smart object to open in Affinity I had to delete Illustrator from my machine while this is fine for me (cause I only had the trial) it may not be great for others. 

Example PSD - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69315348/example-smartobject-illustrator.psd

• Staff

The double click open from Photoshop is actually a bug by Adobe - it has nothing to do with us at all.  They intend it to open in Photoshop or Illustrator, but they don't correctly register their app as owning those files.  We register Affinity as able to open these file types - and as we were probably the last you installed that did this, Affinity ends up opening the smart object.

Anyway...

While we do handle PSD and Illustrator files - I would recommend staying with Adobe if you already have CS/CC and are trying to do back and forth editing like this.  You should understand that while we are trying to offer the best in class support for Adobe file types, we will not support all their features 100%.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't see why not.  I can look into it.

If you have an example PSD file, that would help.  I'm generally writing PSD import based on test files.  The documentation is next to non-existent for the specifics of the PSD file format since CS1, so we can only really work things out from actual example files.

There's a free file here: http://graphicriver.net/item/new-year-celebration-event-template/6009213for today and tomorrow, if that helps Smart objects are a neat idea.

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2014 at 2:45 AM, GCVigilante said:

I can double-click a smart object in Photoshop and it opens in Affinity Designer (great!) but when I save it it wants to save a new affinity file which is fine but then when I go back to Photoshop it doesn't update the smart object. Is this something that's only doable between Adobes own products? I've attached an example. FYI in order to get the smart object to open in Affinity I had to delete Illustrator from my machine while this is fine for me (cause I only had the trial) it may not be great for others. 

Example PSD - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69315348/example-smartobject-illustrator.psd

Hello, I just instaled Affinity as trial version, to test it. A wired thing happened...smart objects from Photoshop now opens directly in Affinity Designer...AND THIS IS BAD FOR ME, cause in Illustrator I want to edit the vector, how I change this? I don't want AFF Designer to open smart objects from Photoshop !!! Pls help. Thanks

• Staff

What link???

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi decebal,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Designer and Photo don't support Photoshop's smart objects. We rasterise the smart object (turn it into a pixel layer) when you import a PSD with smart objects. That's what you are seeing.

Hello and thks for the warm welcome.

I need to go back to smart object open in Illustrator, not Affinity.

How can I do this...probably I should delete Aff?!