You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! 

I am a very happy convert from Photoshop to Affinity except for one thing: the brush tool settings. Photoshop still is a lot better with these because of their more sophisticated brush tool modification options. I am thinking specifically about dual brush, brush pose, and build up, which don't seem to be available in Affinity photo. 

I recently bought a set of .abr brushes to compare and contrast the import success between Photoshop and AP, and I'm sorry to say that while Photoshop was able to accommodate some really nice subtle effects (I just want a nice, natural inking brush. There are a million great "big wash" brushes for affinity, but I can't find good liners for the life of me!) that were set into the .abr files, but Affinity imported them as regular round brushes with a noise texture on them, which looked awful! 

I would really like:

1. to be given some actually helpful tutorials on how to create natural-looking brushes in Affinity (I've had a heck of a time trying to find what I'm looking for. People make tutorials for really silly, goofy brushes, but nothing really practical for fine art!)

2. For the Affinity brush settings to be upgraded to be more competitive with the Photoshop brush settings. 

3. For AP to be able to import .abr brushes properly without cutting out the settings and ruining the brush. 

Thanks for hearing me out! Again, I am LOVING the program for the most part, but I'm just not able to do inking on this program to the level that I want, because of these settings issues. 

~K

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, Julia04 said:

wow, problems with brushes have been talked about since 2019 and until now there is no solution.

even better, we have 2022 and its still crap. Recently, i try to paint in photoshop, and this app going to be slower and slower over the years, even colorpicking have lag, so i try to import some of my brushes into affinity photo aaaaaaaaand... it was disaster, none of them look like they look at photoshop, it is useless. There a 1000+ brushes to photoshop in internet, and this is one of the reasons that people still painting there, not affinity photo, krita or clip studio. I think this is the time to focus more on painters needs.

I just want a decent airbrush. One with a soft defused edge. Not something that leaves  O's. The brushes that it comes with are kind of neat in some regards. Pencils really look like pencils without going into brush settings to make one like I did in my out of date photoshop. But the fact is I could make what I wanted. Needing a default  brush that looked like a pencil crayon is not exactly a universal need. So playing with some settings makes sense. However needing a soft airbrush or really a dry bristle brush, or a good set of liners is. And it's missing from Affinity. I am seriously hoping the next update focuses on painters. Improving brushes can't be that hard. But would go a long way. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 6:20 PM, KatherineM said:

I just want a decent airbrush. One with a soft defused edge. Not something that leaves  O's. The brushes that it comes with are kind of neat in some regards. Pencils really look like pencils without going into brush settings to make one like I did in my out of date photoshop. But the fact is I could make what I wanted. Needing a default  brush that looked like a pencil crayon is not exactly a universal need. So playing with some settings makes sense. However needing a soft airbrush or really a dry bristle brush, or a good set of liners is. And it's missing from Affinity. I am seriously hoping the next update focuses on painters. Improving brushes can't be that hard. But would go a long way. 

Me too!

AF is very good software but, when I bought it, I didn't imagine I would be forced to combine it with other software due to brush engine issues;
some necessary brushes like pencil and nib (g-pen) are totally unusable.

RESUMING: Affinity Photo's requires a fix for the brush engine settings to work properly, and a decent antialiasing.