WaveF

[Fixed] Too many 'Linked Resource Changed' warnings

Are there any plans for 'AUTO UPDATA ALL LINKED IMAGES' instead of fake linked image? I don't want to reload them one by one every time, because some layers are locked its hard to find them, and pls only warn once for the same image.

SCREEN CAPTURE:

linked.thumb.png.457f471494f2e95d7870a7a656490112.png

I can understand that would be frustrating, but .afdesign files are not supposed to contain linked files. That's because Publisher is the only one of the Affinity applications with full support for them (automatic update, Resource Manager, etc.).

Serif has said that feature is intended only for .afpub files (or, possibly, other Affinity files operated on by Publisher). If you use the Replace Image function in Designer you can make the replacement linked, but they have also said that that is a bug, and the buttons allowing you to choose linked or embedded in the Replace Image dialog should not be there and will be removed.

So one question might be, how did your files become linked? There have been reports of that happening automatically somehow on Mac, but I don't recall seeing reports about that for Windows. Maybe it can happen there, too. Or, if you've been doing it manually with the Replace Image function, perhaps you shouldn't, if it is causing a problem for you?

Or, perhaps, you should be using Publisher to work on your .afdesign file, as Publisher provides the automatic updating function you need.

Serif has given us no indication so far that they plan to extend the Linking function into Designer and Photo. So far it seems to be intended as a Publisher feature, though if you own Publisher and the other applications the StudioLink functions will let you do much of your Designer (or Photo) work directly in Publisher, which will provide the linking function as Serif seems to intend it to be used.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.628 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.628 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

19 hours ago, WaveF said:

Are there any plans for 'AUTO UPDATA ALL LINKED IMAGES' instead of fake linked image? I don't want to reload them one by one every time, because some layers are locked its hard to find them, and pls only warn once for the same image.

SCREEN CAPTURE:

I placed an image a month ago - a one time only operation, no link intended - and I get this warning every time I open the Designer file. The "linked" resource changed a month ago. So this warning is a bit annoying and useless.

I can imagine it is much worse in a document with many placed images. It would drive me insane if they didn't close automatically.

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I can understand that would be frustrating, but .afdesign files are not supposed to contain linked files. That's because Publisher is the only one of the Affinity applications with full support for them (automatic update, Resource Manager, etc.).

Serif has said that feature is intended only for .afpub files (or, possibly, other Affinity files operated on by Publisher). If you use the Replace Image function in Designer you can make the replacement linked, but they have also said that that is a bug, and the buttons allowing you to choose linked or embedded in the Replace Image dialog should not be there and will be removed.

So one question might be, how did your files become linked? There have been reports of that happening automatically somehow on Mac, but I don't recall seeing reports about that for Windows. Maybe it can happen there, too. Or, if you've been doing it manually with the Replace Image function, perhaps you shouldn't, if it is causing a problem for you?

Or, perhaps, you should be using Publisher to work on your .afdesign file, as Publisher provides the automatic updating function you need.

Serif has given us no indication so far that they plan to extend the Linking function into Designer and Photo. So far it seems to be intended as a Publisher feature, though if you own Publisher and the other applications the StudioLink functions will let you do much of your Designer (or Photo) work directly in Publisher, which will provide the linking function as Serif seems to intend it to be used.

Thanks for reply, but I think its weird keep switching between 3 tools to do something simple just like sharpen, update linked images, etc.

Wondering if there's a better way to do this, like:

- Unlock these features for those users who already bought licenses for AD, AP and Pb;

- A new full features version tool, like c4d studio version;

- Macro panel for 3 tools (when users have specified licenses they can unlock some handy AD/Pb actions in AD) :D

On 10/16/2019 at 4:54 AM, WaveF said:

SCREEN CAPTURE:

Same warnings in Affinity Publisher. I agree it's a bit annoying.

8 hours ago, Coffee said:

Same warnings in Affinity Publisher. I agree it's a bit annoying.

image.png.fd40ddcd23bcadc00d0d4a7848e18b7e.png

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.628 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.628 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 and 1.8.3.627 Beta.

8 hours ago, WaveF said:

Thanks for reply, but I think its weird keep switching between 3 tools to do something simple just like sharpen, update linked images, etc.

If you own all 3 applications, and you don't need the Export Persona in Designer for a project, you can just do all of your project in Publisher. No need to switch between the full applications.

If you do need the Export Persona at the end of the project, you can use Edit in Designer to switch over to the full Designer application to do that exporting.

-- Walt

Hi all,

Walt asked a very good question which none of you replied to

On 10/16/2019 at 1:05 PM, walt.farrell said:

So one question might be, how did your files become linked?

You can link files in Publisher, but not Photo or Designer. 

23 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

Walt asked a very good question which none of you replied to

You can link files in Publisher, but not Photo or Designer. 

That is the question a developer should answer from these "steps to reproduce". It is very, very easy to reproduce.

• Have a JPG image file ready (saved) and also open in photo editor (in my case Photoshop)
  • Create new document in designer
  • Place the JPG
  • (Draw on top of it with vector tools (probably irrelevant step but this is what I did) )
  • Save in designer
  • Close in designer
  • Apply fx auto contrast in Photoshop, control-S for save
  • Open in designer

Result:

"Linked Resource Changed" forever.

All capitals probably also an error :) 

So, in short, just placing images from file -> place.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Thanks for the steps. I managed to replicate it it now.
However, the issue has already been fixed in 1.8 beta: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-designer-beta-on-windows/

I don't see it in the list of fixes for 1.8.0.486, Gabe. Is it a later build of the beta, or am I just not recognizing the description?

-- Walt

49 minutes ago, Coffee said:

Thank you!

That screenshot makes no sense in this context, @Coffee This (below) is what prefs in Designer beta 1.8.0.486 looks like. Nothing about links there. Nothing happens automatically in the current release version. And we never linked the images. 

But fortunately @Gabe is right; I installed the beta and the issue has indeed been resolved. Thank you for that.

image.png.b65a7dbcec9cd4a04fcd4d5923b872bf.png

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

That screenshot makes no sense in this context, @Coffee

@Coffee commented that it was also annoying in Publisher, and the screenshot I provided gave them the solution to stop the annoyance in Publisher.

As I commented earlier in this topic, Publisher is the only Affinity application designed and intended to handle Linked files, at least for now. Thus, it has additional tools (Resource Manager) and Preferences (that one) to deal with them.

-- Walt

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

@Coffee commented that it was also annoying in Publisher, and the screenshot I provided gave them the solution to stop the annoyance in Publisher.

As I commented earlier in this topic, Publisher is the only Affinity application designed and intended to handle Linked files, at least for now. Thus, it has additional tools (Resource Manager) and Preferences (that one) to deal with them.

Alright :)

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see it in the list of fixes for 1.8.0.486, Gabe. Is it a later build of the beta, or am I just not recognizing the description?

The original issue was reported and fixed in the Publisher project and pulled to Photo and Designer :) Once Publisher is out, it should be on that fix list.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 AM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, it work in Publisher.