You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo file dimensions not showing on Mac

On a Mac, the "thumbnail" or "file preview" shows important info like the dimensions of an image. It also shows the dimensions of PSD files, but not for Affinity files. Even if I open the INFO window, it doesn't show it. Is this a bug or is there some setting that has to be changed. I searched all over Affinity Photo's setting and can't find anything related. I have attached a screenshot. Please tell me if this can be fixed. I don't want to have to open every single Affinity file just to see the dimensions. I'm trying to switch from Photoshop but lot's of little issues are coming up.

affinity1.jpg

• Staff

Hi Oliverb,

This is by design as Affinity files are just containers there are also features such as multiple Artboards and pages in Designer and Publisher that the OS would not be able to report the size of correctly.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 year later...

I see you guys are still sticking with NOT showing the file dimensions (even though every Affinity Photo file DOES have a set dimension). This is the only thing keeping me from switching from Photoshop. It's just ridiculous for me to have to individually open dozens of image files just to see what size they are. That's definitely NOT a "pro" feature or decision. At the very least you should make this an OPTION in the preferences so us professionals don't have to waste needless hours on opening files just to see what size they are.

4 hours ago, oliverb said:

I see you guys are still sticking with NOT showing the file dimensions (even though every Affinity Photo file DOES have a set dimension).

AP can open native format documents created in AD or APub, which means they can include multiple artboards or pages. For example, what would be the "set dimension" of how big?.afphoto or how big 2?.afphoto?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not talking about vector files or pub files. of coarse those don't have set dimensions, but afphoto files do. When you open the file, it shows the dimensions right in the upper left corner (see screenshot) - so obviously there IS a set dimension for those files. All you have to do is add that data to the file preview so we don't have to open up each and every file just to see it. I have been wanting to switch away from Photoshop for years now, and I have tested out all the other image apps and Affinity is by far the best. Hats off to you guys for doing such an amazing job. In fact, afphoto files seem to be less than half the size of psd files. That alone would save me tons of storage space. Not sure how you guys accomplished that, but kudos.

However, it is always frustrating when an amazing company with a phenomenal product, includes a single design flaw that ruins the experience. (remember Apple's single button mouse disaster?) Every other image editing app shows the file dimensions in the preview - this is the industry standard, so I know that Affinity can do the same. Again, not talking about vector or pub files, just image files. Please, I beg of you.

2139058151_ss2020-11-28at6_58_46.jpg.b900f378181fdb7eb1f6a30eb1f6513f.jpg

And to answer your question: how big?.afphoto is "301x301" and how big 2?.afphoto is "600x301".

I opened them up in Affinity and surprise surprise, the DO have set dimensions. See screenshots.

All you have to do is add this data to the file preview. simple.

1528882721_ss2020-11-28at7_31_55.jpg.2132ba3aae7c0476d937ad20bdf9bcff.jpg

1558899652_ss2020-11-28at7_32_09.jpg.e2a38956d1f6a6c02324daea68d7a18a.jpg

5 hours ago, oliverb said:

And to answer your question: how big?.afphoto is "301x301" and how big 2?.afphoto is "600x301".

For how big?.afphoto artboard 1 is 301 x 301 px but artboards 2 & 3 are not. To see this, you need to select each artboard in turn on the Layers panel & then check their dimensions in the Transform panel. Do that & you will see that Artboard 2 is about 212 x 150 px & Artboard 3 is about 286 x 141 px.

For how big 2?.afphoto, it is even easier to see the different sizes because the artboards were converted to pages in APub before being saved in AP. So reopen that file & use the page navigator at the bottom left of the workspace window to move from page to page. With the Pan tool active you will see that the dimensions are different for each page. 

For  how big?.afphoto (not how big 2?.afphoto) with the Pan tool selected 600 x 301 px is the overall workspace area used by the 3 artboards, but if for example you rearrange the artboards, those numbers will change -- they are not the dimensions of the artboards or anything in them. how big? 3.afphoto is identical to  how big?.afphoto except I moved artboard 3 down below artboard 1. Note that with the Pan tool selected the numbers now read 527 x 448 px. Drag Artboard 3 somewhere else in the workspace & the numbers will change accordingly.

This is because as @Callum explained, native format Affinity files are just containers & can include more than one item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I would like to second the complaints of @oliverb. Although I understand the container argument with artboards and the like, the result is annoying, if you have to deal with an average of several hundred images per project. While I use artboards in Designer practically all the time, there never was the need to do so in Photo. So from my perspective you cannot see an absolutely basic file information in Finder or any DAM, but to compensate this lack you might theoretically enjoy artboards in Photo (in case you own Designer as well). Sorry, but I wouldn’t consider this a very good deal. Als oliverb said: the information is obviously there, so why not writing it to the file metadata? Photo is otherwise an absolutely great product I love to work with, so it’s incomprehensible why one has to struggle with such annoyances.