You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher "Setup Failed"

Hi. I've just opened Publisher for the first time since I bought it. I was using version 1.7.1.404 I think (from the exe file).

It told me there was an upload so I downloaded it. Version 1.7.3.

After a few seconds of running the exe, I got a "Setup Failed" message.

I tried to open the old version. Won't let me.

I tried to reinstall the old version. Setup Failed.

I went through the thread here (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/64511-windows-installation-issues-faq/) for installation problems and did everything that I understand - 

I restarted my machine
I right clicked the .exe and tried "run as administrator"
No updates currently installing.
Checked machine is fully updated.
Uninstalled the previous versions using Microsoft's troubleshooter
Made sure the installer file is on the same drive as Windows

I didn't extract the MSI because I don't understand what that means!

I've also tried re-downloading v 1.7.3. Same again.

So I am stuck. No Affinity Publisher. 

Can anyone help? 

setup_failed.jpg

• Staff

Hi smallp,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble and many thanks for outlining the steps already taken.

In order for me to investigate further I'm going to need a copy of your installer log file, please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, this shows the following error:

+Error: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher.  The installation cannot continue.  

Usually restarting the machine fixes this error, but as this has not helped for you we'll need to do something a little more drastic.

Please paste the following into the Windows Run command -

%programfiles%\Affinity\

In the folder that opens, select the Publisher folder and delete it. Now restart your machine and try running the 1.7.3.exe again, you should find the installation works as expected.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

This happened to me too. I tried to install the update and it failed. I tried twice and it hosed my installation totally. I had to install fresh on a new drive. I had been using drive F: now I have it installed on Drive D:. However, I am now starting from scratch. This is not making me very happy.

• Staff

Hi commpaul,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with updating, I'll need a copy of your installation log file also.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, FranCGC said:

Hello 

I'm new here, I just installed the program today and receive this message  

first I tried to set to the default directory 😄 Program Files (I wanted to install in D:)

I attach the Log file 

thank for the help

SetupUI.log 51.14 kB · 2 downloads

I see from your other topic that you resolved the problem. Good work!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, HuskieB said:

Downloaded software today and having same problem. 

Selected Run As Administrator, started Preparing then received message Setup Failed

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. I would start by examining the SetupUI.log file to get the more detailed error message, which often will resolve the problem:

Then, depending on what you find there, this other FAQ might be helpful:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1