You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any good way to account for repeated "macro" text

The specific context here is that I want a small textual signifier (the document name) on every page of a document.

I have obviously made it part of the master pages, but it is on 3–4 different kinds of master pages depending on the specific document, and it is in somewhat different places, so I can't just "nest" my master page.

I was wondering if there is some way to either have a "master text box" which I can place in somewhat different places on master pages. Alternatively, some LaTeX-esque solution, like the equivalent of a "\title" macro which can populate text for me.

Thanks!

You can turn a Text Frame (including its contents) into an Asset. You could then drag it from the Assets panel to wherever you want it on each Master Page.

You could even insert a Field into the Text Frame, such as the Subject or Title of the document, which you can set in the Fields panel. That might allow you to reuse that Asset on other documents that you work on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This isn't quite what I'm looking for, since as far as I can tell the Assets panel is just a convenient way to copy and paste, and I wanted something that I could change once and have it change everywhere. I ended up using a Symbol, but for reasons that escape me the symbols panel is only available in the Designer persona.

Thank you though; The assets tip pointed me to the symbols, and I can probably find a way to use Fields!

48 minutes ago, powderizedbookworm said:

I wanted something that I could change once and have it change everywhere.

That's how it would behave as an Asset, if the Text Frame contained a Field such as Subject or Document Title. You would just change the field's value in the Fields panel, and all the frame contents would change.

Publisher started out supporting the Symbols panel in the Publisher persona, but that was removed in one of the early betas. I don't think Serif has ever explained why. We thought at the time it was due to some conflict between Symbols and Master Pages, which are built on Symbols functionality. But that doesn't really make sense, to me, since the Designer persona became available with its Symbol support. So it may have been for some other reason.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...