Hi Allard54,

Welcome to the forums :)

When using the Crop tool, you have the option to apply Straightening. This option can be applied from either the Context Toolbar, or by holding down the CTRL/CMD modifier.
image.png

When using the Straighten option, you will see a 'Spirit Level' as the icon.

By default, you should find the crop tool always begins in 'crop' mode - are you seeing different results?

Next to Straighten, Overlay Dan C screen shot, see Thirds Grid? Click there to change settings.

Cecil - North Carolina

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB. iPad Pro 10.5.

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Right-Click on your image will get you back to the crop tool.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.464; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

20 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I am lost in translation. What is the spirit level?

In the Straighten mode, the crop cursor changes to this:

straighten_cursor.png.80e212709c4fc5305f395a3e4835e5cb.png

It is supposed to resemble a spirit level, also known as a bubble level or carpenter's level. ("Spirit" refers to the liquid with the bubble in it. Often a lightweight alcohol is used instead of water because its lower viscosity & surface tension allows the bubble to settle more quickly.)

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I had to re-read this a few times to get that you mean Libelle (German). Reading spirit I was thinking of a ghost. Never getting too old to learn. ;)

39 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I had to re-read this a few times to get that you mean Libelle (German). Reading spirit I was thinking of a ghost. Never getting too old to learn. ;)

I am a native (U.S.) English speaker who as a child loved to help my dad by fetching tools for him (known colloquially as a "gofer" for "go for") so I had to learn the names of lots of the tools he asked for. He could usually explain why the tool had a particular name if I asked but the one that stumped him was "torpedo level." It is a small spirit level used in tight spaces but I have never found out what torpedo has to do with that. :S

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2