You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Settings reset: deal breaker

I have been a long term customer of Serif in the past. Since then I've switched from Windows PC to Mac and came across Affinity (it was mentioned in another forum). So I downloaded the Beta and am giving a try.

So far, I'm impressed but there is one thing that is very frustrating and would be a deal breaker when it comes to deciding to buy or not. This is the way it forgets what my settings are for brushes or selections, etc.

For example, when I used Photoshop CS5 and I set the selection feathering to, say, 50px - CS5 would leave it set at that until I decided to change it (even if I close the program). With AP, I have to set it again every time I open a new image. It is worse with brushes - I have to set them up if I switch to another tool and back again. It is very time consuming.

I saw something here in the forum about sharing brushes but that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

• Staff

Hi marble51,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was requested a couple times, but like other things it's impossible to get everything done for the first release.

Affinity Photo development will continue and we intend to refine and add new features along the way. This will be done trough Affinity Photo Costumer Beta available after the Mac App Store Photo's release. Bear with us while we get there.

Hi marble51,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was requesting a couple times, but like other things it's impossible to get everything done for the first release.

Affinity Photo development will continue and we intend to refine and add new features along the way. This will be done trough Affinity Photo Costumer Beta that will be available after the Mac App Store Photo's release. Bear with us while we get there.

I noticed after I posted that the release date has been announced so I am not surprised it won't be included. However, your assurance that it will be included later is encouraging so the deal isn't broken yet :)

What I do like a lot is the way I can hover over the Blend Modes and see what the effect will be. Congratulations on that one.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Since I started the topic, I thought I might ask again. After all, I asked in July 2015 and it is now March 2016. Back in December it was "top of the list" according to the link in the previous post. I'm on 1.4.1 but if I've missed a release, please let me know which version I should be on now?

[Edit] I see there's a later 1.4.2 beta but I bought from the Mac App Store and it seems I'm not able to get the latest releases until they appear in the Mac Store - is this correct? Nevertheless, there's no mention of this particular enhancement in the release thread, as far as I can see.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.