You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.3 Designer – Boolean operation on simple mandala

Przemek

I'm having serious issues with the Boolean operations in the Designer. Here is an example of a super easy mandala made out of circles. The effect is not only lagging but most importantly super unexpected and the software starts to be unreliable.

I tried with and without pixel snapping, with and without symbols, filled and not – no luck. What is more frustrating is that every time I get slightly different effect, none of which is the desired one.

The Boolean operation ar absolutely necessary for me. If you're not planning to fix them in the coming days/weeks, please let me know – I need this project to move forward and the Affinity tool is completely unreliable.

Screen Recording 2019-10-15 at 14.14.gif

Unfortunately, this seems to be a long-standing issue. As far as I'm aware there has been no announcement as to when these issues will be fixed. It would be great if a lot of the major bugs were fixed in 1.8, but maybe someone from Serif can comment?

On 2/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, Uwe367 said:

Hi folks,
A view month ago i created an issue because the boolean operations are not working correctly in some circumstances. But this tool is very help and useful to create own vector shapes.
So my question is when do affinity intend to fix them?
I know, it´s a very complex thing that needs time, but my first posting about this was in september 2018, four month ago and so i want to ask when it is fixed. Perhaps there is a timeline?

Greetz
Uwe

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi Przemek,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
We are already aware of the boolean operations issues. We hope to have this fixed in an upcoming version but I have no eta for the fix/improvements, sorry. If you need to move forward/quickly with the project it's probably better to use other app for this (or perform the boolean operations in another app and copy/paste to Designer if applicable).