You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export failed

Nordseher

• Staff

This file exports fine for me.

What export settings are you using?

I am missing 4-5 of the fonts used in this document that might also be the cause, I've installed the Chaparral Pro font from Adobe, but can you upload your versions of the "Futura Regular", "RotisSandSerif Bold" and "Times" font here

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

As far as I understand you can export the file, is that right?

I have further reduced the file to 1 page, the error remains while exporting.

If I change the export settings "Compatibility" to "PDF/X4" I can export the file. Then everything works.

When I go back to the recommendation of my online printer "PDF/X3:2003" the same error happens reproducibly over and over again.

I uploaded the Font files too but in my document just now there is no text

kind regars Ingo Jakubke#

• Staff

Thanks, 

I think this is because (and correct me if i'm wrong) you have set Rasterize set to Nothing in export options.

This is tripping up a PDF X-3 export with your file because it has to Rasterize the filter effects on the image in the file you provided, X-3 doesn't support live transparency so it can't export it without rasterizing it.

We should handle this scenario a bit better (like just not export the filter effects if you've explicity stated for it to not rasterize), so I'll log this, but you'll need to leave the Rastersize settings to "Unsupported Properties" to get an export out.

I edited your post to remove the fonts, since some were protected fonts and shouldn't be on a public forum

On 10/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Jon P said:

Thanks, 

I think this is because (and correct me if i'm wrong) you have set Rasterize set to Nothing in export options.

This is tripping up a PDF X-3 export with your file because it has to Rasterize the filter effects on the image in the file you provided, X-3 doesn't support live transparency so it can't export it without rasterizing it.

We should handle this scenario a bit better (like just not export the filter effects if you've explicity stated for it to not rasterize), so I'll log this, but you'll need to leave the Rastersize settings to "Unsupported Properties" to get an export out.

I edited your post to remove the fonts, since some were protected fonts and shouldn't be on a public forum

Yes, that's correct. Your assumption is correct. I strictly followed the printer's guidelines and even received a sample Affinity Publisher document from the printer which exactly had the export settings.  However, not a single "raster effect" had been used in the document.

I did the crosscheck and copied my graphic into this document and then I had the same error as with my document. It's solely due to the setting for rasterizing "unsupported properties".

The error message that comes up doesn't really help. It would be useful to specify the page number in the output. 

The same applies to the warning: There is an overflow text in the document. The reference to the page number is also missing here. That would be nice.

Otherwise I have now understood when a graphic must be rasterized and how this affects the PDF export.

I think the idea to solve it differently is good. If a raster effect is necessary for the output, a hint would be useful. I don't think simply suppressing the raster effects is the right way to go.

Many thanks Ingo Jakubke 

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue with the export failing when rasterize was set to "unsupported properties" for my most recent design. Quite frustrating until I was able to switch it to rasterize all or none. The issue appears to be caused when I have font embedding on and vanishes when I convert fonts to curves.

Edited by Eric Louw

7 hours ago, Eric Louw said:

I had the exact same issue with the export failing when rasterize was set to "unsupported properties" for my most recent design. Quite frustrating until I was able to switch it to rasterize all or none. The issue appears to be caused when I have font embedding on and vanishes when I convert fonts to curves.

I have the same problem with some documents.

• Staff

@Eric Louw It may have been trying to embed a protected font at a guess, could be another reason though

If both of you want to upload the documents and let me know what export settings you are using I can make sure it is included in the above bug report, we are working on giving better feedback with these sorts of errors.

If you want to keep the documents private use this link

9 hours ago, Jon P said:

@Eric Louw It may have been trying to embed a protected font at a guess, could be another reason though

If both of you want to upload the documents and let me know what export settings you are using I can make sure it is included in the above bug report, we are working on giving better feedback with these sorts of errors.

If you want to keep the documents private use this link

Done. Perhaps on a related topic, I'm finding that when I place a pdf I received from a customer, it does not recognize and render the fonts properly, yet photoshop, indesign, etc. have no problem. Thus, it's not just exporting fonts that seems to be problematic, but importing as well. I could probably share the pdf if you want to look at that too.

6 minutes ago, Eric Louw said:

Done. Perhaps on a related topic, I'm finding that when I place a pdf I received from a customer, it does not recognize and render the fonts properly, yet photoshop, indesign, etc. have no problem. Thus, it's not just exporting fonts that seems to be problematic, but importing as well. I could probably share the pdf if you want to look at that too.

The Affinity applications require that you have all needed fonts installed locally. They do not make use of the fonts embedded in a PDF that you Open or Place.

So the first question you need to ask is whether you have the fonts your customer used to make that PDF.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Eric Louw said:

...Perhaps on a related topic, I'm finding that when I place a pdf I received from a customer, it does not recognize and render the fonts properly...

Unlike other layout software, APub does not have the capability to use what is called pdf passthrough. Nor can it utilize embedded font outline data to say converting type to either curves nor a bitmap.

In other words, what you are experiencing with regards to Affinity products "recognizing" the embedded fonts is a current limitation but is "as designed." So no need to hand over a pdf for this issue.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Affinity applications require that you have all needed fonts installed locally. They do not make use of the fonts embedded in a PDF that you Open or Place.

So the first question you need to ask is whether you have the fonts your customer used to make that PDF.

Ah, well that's a logical reason. That's also a pretty significant downside though for those of us with businesses in graphic design and printing. Any idea if that will ever change?

Edited by Eric Louw

Just now, Eric Louw said:

Ah, well there's the reason. That's a pretty significant downside though for those of us with businesses in graphic design and printing. Any idea if that will ever change?

We all hope it will, someday. But only Serif knows if it will, or when.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, Jon P said:

The issue is the registered symbol in the Advent Sans font, if you remove the use of this from your text frame it will export.

I'll get this logged.

Hmm. Remove my use of the entire font I presume? I don't think I was using the registered symbol from that font in this file. The symbol on the left of the file was a separate eps, though I am aware that the font contains one as well.

1 minute ago, Jon P said:

The font is fine, there's an error when we are trying to write out the registered symbol it uses though.

Remove this character and it should export fine (it does for me in the current 1.8 beta):

image.png

Ah, I didn't even notice that. It adds automatically when I type in that word with that official font. Thanks!

Edited by Eric Louw