You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I cycle through brush nozzles before dabbing my canvas?

If I go to the Affinity photo brushes panel. Spray-paints, Spray 7 brush has 7 nozzles.

I want to dab my canvas with these sploshes.

But Affinity Photo applies the 7 different nozzle splosh shapes randomly. So I do not have any control of how my artwork will look.

I can rotate the brush nozzle using the left and right arrow keys.

BUT!

When several nozzles are available for one brush. Is there a way to cycle through the brush nozzles and choose a specific nozzle, before I dab my canvas?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Philip. :)

1 hour ago, Philip Gledhill said:

Can I cycle through brush nozzles before dabbing my canvas?

If I go to the Affinity photo brushes panel. Spray-paints, Spray 7 brush has 7 nozzles.

I want to dab my canvas with these sploshes.

But Affinity Photo applies the 7 different nozzle splosh shapes randomly. So I do not have any control of how my artwork will look.

If you don’t want the nozzles to be chosen at random you can edit the texture settings for the brush to change the controller (e.g. to make it cyclic, or to use velocity or direction) but it will still switch between the different nozzles as you use the brush. In order to use only one particular nozzle — other than the first one, which is what you get if you choose the ‘None’ controller option — you would need to edit a copy of the brush and remove the other nozzles.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred

I was hoping to use all of the nozzles, but I wanted to pick specific nozzles as and when I need them.

I don't want to brush the page. I want to stamp sploshes here and there.

I might be able to make a set of graphics, one from each splosh or nozzle. Then place the images in my document as layers.

That way I can choose which shape to place in my document at what location.

39 minutes ago, Philip Gledhill said:

I might be able to make a set of graphics, one from each splosh or nozzle. Then place the images in my document as layers.

That sounds like the best way forward. I don’t know of an easy way to access the nozzle images directly, so you might have to resort to dabbing a ‘splosh’ for each one and exporting it or taking a screenshot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)