You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when dragging images from Photos app

Ipad Pro 12.9 1st gen

Ios 12.4.1

Affinity Designer 1.7.3

(EDIT: Re-saving the image in Procreate and putting it in iCloud Drive, and then dragging it from Files worked without crashing.)

(EDIT 2: Nope, for some reason, the succesful image drop never saved in Designer, and the next time I opened it, the image was gone and I'm now not even able to drop it from Files... no crash, though.)

• Staff

Hi eobet :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please confirm for me, was the image you were drag and dropping a RAW file? If so, from which camera does the RAW originate?

Does this happen with any image from your Photos library, or only specific ones?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

It was a file downloaded from Safari, so it might have been a jpeg or webp, I don't know because iOS hides that fact pretty well.

However, I made sure to re-save it from Procreate as a png, and as mentioned that still failed to import but at least Affinity didn't crash.

I've now updated to iPadOS (13.1.2) and the problem seems to have gone away.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, eobet said:

It was a file downloaded from Safari, so it might have been a jpeg or webp, I don't know because iOS hides that fact pretty well.

I understand, at least this is more clear in iOS 13!

20 minutes ago, eobet said:

I've now updated to iPadOS (13.1.2) and the problem seems to have gone away.

I'm glad to hear it, many thanks for letting me know :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, Dan C said:

Hi eobet :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, could you please confirm for me, was the image you were drag and dropping a RAW file? If so, from which camera does the RAW originate?

Does this happen with any image from your Photos library, or only specific ones?

I have the same problem. If I drag and drop a RAW file (from Canon 70D) from photos app into Affinity Photo it crashes. It works however to drag and drop the same RAW file from the Apple Files app into Affinity Photo...

• Staff

Hi MoChe :) 

I'm sorry to hear this, could you please confirm:

1. Which version of iOS are you running?
  2. Are you using the latest version of Affinity Photo? (1.7.3)

Please note -

Many thanks!