You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Permission to record screen window

If in Doubt Deny, it can be changed in System Preferences > Security & Privacy if something doesn't work. In this instance, I suspect it's to facilitate the use of colour pickers, not to actually record the whole of the screen.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, paulsonb said:

I came to the forums looking for information on this as well. I've just emailed the company asking why I got this prompt (which I denied). If/when I get a response from them I'll let you know what they say!

I'm 99.999999999% sure I'm right. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why the huge element of self-doubt?? :/

I think I'm feeling a bit insecure lol! :D

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I'm 99.999999999% sure I'm right. :D

I am 100% sure that one should never assume that every Mac OS notification means what it says, particularly for the first few versions of each new release.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 10/15/2019 at 8:06 AM, firstdefence said:

In this instance, I suspect it's to facilitate the use of colour pickers, not to actually record the whole of the screen.

I'm here to alleviate the 0.000000001% of doubt - this permission request is indeed for the colour picker and this is required for its use as it functions beyond the bounds of the UI :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi Divax,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately this isn't a feature supported in Affinity apps currently - it's been requested previously on our forums and is a something we'd like to add in the future!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, firstdefence said:

I think I'm feeling a bit insecure lol! :D

Turns out you had no need to feel insecure, here's the response I got:

This warning is shown  due to the Colour Picker within Affinity and we don't actually record your screen.  It's a new feature brought in by Catalina and like i say, is linked to our Colour Picker which has the ability to pick a colour from anything on the screen, which the MacOS takes as screen recording.  This is also present in other apps that happen to have the colour picker as well.  By all means you can disallow it, but the colour picker won't work.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @emerritt,

Welcome to the forums :)

14 hours ago, emerritt said:

with or without the permission granted, the color picker works on any part of any screen

This isn't something I've had reported previously and I don't currently understand how this is working for you!
As far as I understand, you have previously had this option allowed, and you have since disabled the permission in System Preferences?

Have you restarted the Affinity app / your Mac since changing this preference? It may be that the OS/App does not update before a restart.

One of our Mac developers had the following to say here - 

"The colour picker will still show but the colour likely won’t be retrieved correctly - it will probably be black picking any colour not on our document."

Can you please confirm for me, does the colour picker look correct when 'picking' outside of the apps UI?

Does the app 'pick' the correct colour and offer this in the Colour Studio when picking from outside the apps UI, or does it always pick black when using the tool outside the app?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!