batoubot

Permission to record screen window

Hi there,

I'm seeing this window when launching Affinity Photo. I'm on macOS Catalina.

Wondering why it needs to record my screen?

Cheers,

Batoubot

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.19.30 am.png

If in Doubt Deny, it can be changed in System Preferences > Security & Privacy if something doesn't work. In this instance, I suspect it's to facilitate the use of colour pickers, not to actually record the whole of the screen.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

I came to the forums looking for information on this as well. I've just emailed the company asking why I got this prompt (which I denied). If/when I get a response from them I'll let you know what they say!

1 hour ago, paulsonb said:

I came to the forums looking for information on this as well. I've just emailed the company asking why I got this prompt (which I denied). If/when I get a response from them I'll let you know what they say!

I'm 99.999999999% sure I'm right. :D

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Why the huge element of self-doubt?? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why the huge element of self-doubt?? :/

I think I'm feeling a bit insecure lol! :D

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I am 100% sure that one should never assume that every Mac OS notification means what it says, particularly for the first few versions of each new release.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

On 10/15/2019 at 8:06 AM, firstdefence said:

In this instance, I suspect it's to facilitate the use of colour pickers, not to actually record the whole of the screen.

I'm here to alleviate the 0.000000001% of doubt - this permission request is indeed for the colour picker and this is required for its use as it functions beyond the bounds of the UI :)

Hi all, I'm new to Affinity Design. Does it record art strokes? I'm trying to do a speed painting kinda thing? I also got the prompt to record screen on my MacBook and i was thinking this was for recording art process.

Hi Divax,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately this isn't a feature supported in Affinity apps currently - it's been requested previously on our forums and is a something we'd like to add in the future!

On 10/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, firstdefence said:

I think I'm feeling a bit insecure lol! :D

Turns out you had no need to feel insecure, here's the response I got:

This warning is shown  due to the Colour Picker within Affinity and we don't actually record your screen.  It's a new feature brought in by Catalina and like i say, is linked to our Colour Picker which has the ability to pick a colour from anything on the screen, which the MacOS takes as screen recording.  This is also present in other apps that happen to have the colour picker as well.  By all means you can disallow it, but the colour picker won't work.