You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher/Designer will not open on MacOS10.15

2 hours ago, Cursed said:

Are you on Mac Catalina?

macOS 10.15 is Catalina.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

macOS 10.15 is Catalina.

There is a known problem with all the software,

not only affinity.

Its supposed to be a problem that apple needs to fix.

adobe software doesn't work as well.

check the forum for more updates on the matter as I am not an expert on MacOS.

• Staff

Cursed,

There is a known problem with all the software...

This is not a statement I am comfortable with on our forums. When making sweeping statements like this can you please link to where you saw the information. Then users can see if it represents the problem they are experiencing and perhaps also know when it has been sorted. 

Peter J G,

Sorry, but these forums are not manned by staff 24 hours per day and a post made at 8:10 in the evening will likely only be responded to by forum regulars (other customers) or picked up the next working day.

I am pleased you have resolved this yourself. Please post back if it returns so we can assist in finding a possible cause. Furthermore when reporting a problem like this which does not affect all of our mac users and so must be more specific than generic, please try to give as much information as possible. Did it start when you upgraded the OS, did it start when you updated to a new version, which store did you get the installs from (they can behave slightly differently). Indeed can you provide this now even though it seems to have resolved itself, as it would be useful to know what happened to you in case someone else reports the same issue.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Cursed,

This is not a statement I am comfortable with on our forums. When making sweeping statements like this can you please link to where you saw the information. Then users can see if it represents the problem they are experiencing and perhaps also know when it has been sorted. 

Peter J G,

Sorry, but these forums are not manned by staff 24 hours per day and a post made at 8:10 in the evening will likely only be responded to by forum regulars (other customers) or picked up the next working day.

I am pleased you have resolved this yourself. Please post back if it returns so we can assist in finding a possible cause. Furthermore when reporting a problem like this which does not affect all of our mac users and so must be more specific than generic, please try to give as much information as possible. Did it start when you upgraded the OS, did it start when you updated to a new version, which store did you get the installs from (they can behave slightly differently). Indeed can you provide this now even though it seems to have resolved itself, as it would be useful to know what happened to you in case someone else reports the same issue.

My comment isn’t something I just made up, I saw it on the affinity twitter and they were saying it’s affecting all softwares so...

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 3:13 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Cursed,

Peter J G,

Its been awhile.. 

I understand your not manned 24/7 for support. My comment wan't meant to sound negative, just no responses. thats all.

As for my initial problem, I still have it. Designer and Publisher don't open, I go to Safe mode and they do. I restart and they do, but then eventually stop opening again. IMHO its in the OS10.15.1 

I bought Designer through the Apple store and I signed up for the Beta of Publisher. So 2 different purchases. 

In any case, The problem is still there. 

56 minutes ago, Peter J G said:

Its been awhile.. 

I understand your not manned 24/7 for support. My comment wan't meant to sound negative, just no responses. thats all.

As for my initial problem, I still have it. Designer and Publisher don't open, I go to Safe mode and they do. I restart and they do, but then eventually stop opening again. IMHO its in the OS10.15.1 

I bought Designer through the Apple store and I signed up for the Beta of Publisher. So 2 different purchases. 

In any case, The problem is still there. 

Have you thought about downgrading your OS?

5 minutes ago, Cursed said:

Have you thought about downgrading your OS?

Nope, because with all the apps on my OS, the trouble has been with Designer/Publisher. So something is up between the OS and the apps. 

I also have Pixelmator/Pixelmator Pro and all the other apps I have on my computer and theres no problem with any of them.. 

Just now, Peter J G said:

Nope, because with all the apps on my OS, the trouble has been with Designer/Publisher. So something is up between the OS and the apps. 

I also have Pixelmator/Pixelmator Pro and all the other apps I have on my computer and theres no problem with any of them.. 

Not too sure but I believe the problem lies with the editing programs such as illustrator, photoshop and of course by extension the affinity suite as well.

Is your other programs wont work under a downgraded version of mac OS?

seems a bit odd.

7 minutes ago, Cursed said:

Not too sure but I believe the problem lies with the editing programs such as illustrator, photoshop and of course by extension the affinity suite as well.

Is your other programs wont work under a downgraded version of mac OS?

seems a bit odd.

They all worked under the previous OS version. I can't remember when, how and why I started to have this problem... except from my first post here (above) I was having trouble with OS10.15.

And just to make my point, I couldn't open Publisher/Designer earlier today until I booted into Safe Mode. I just closed and opened up Publisher/Designer and they opened. :(

So something isn't talking to something else. I could go to another acc' to test it. But I'll wait until I can't open them again to check.

1 minute ago, Peter J G said:

They all worked under the previous OS version. I can't remember when, how and why I started to have this problem... except from my first post here (above) I was having trouble with OS10.15.

And just to make my point, I couldn't open Publisher/Designer earlier today until I booted into Safe Mode. I just closed and opened up Publisher/Designer and they opened. :(

So something isn't talking to something else. I could go to another acc' to test it. But I'll wait until I can't open them again to check.

I remember this, because basically every software had issue with this Mac version. 
IMHO if all the softwares worked with an older version you should look into downgrading.

Hope it works out for you.

This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if you have any corrupt fonts ?
I’ve known bad fonts to manifest themselves in some very peculiar ways in the past.
My thinking here is that you say the apps launch OK in Safe Mode. Part of what Safe Mode dose is to wipe the Fonts Cache in case it’s been corrupted and disable user fonts, however the bad font will still be there when you again reboot normally, and so you’re back to square one.
You can use Font Book to validate, disable and in the case of non system fonts remove them.
If you haven’t already read it Apple have this page about isolating issues with Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262#issue

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

8 minutes ago, markw said:

My thinking here is that you say the apps launch OK in Safe Mode. Part of what Safe Mode dose is to wipe the Fonts Cache in case it’s been corrupted and disable user fonts, however the bad font will still be there when you again reboot normally, and so you’re back to square one.

Safe Mode also prevents startup & login items from opening, & if any of these items are installed one or more of them may be causing some issue that eventually prevents the Affinity apps from opening.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Safe Mode also prevents startup & login items from opening, & if any of these items are installed one or more of them may be causing some issue that eventually prevents the Affinity apps from opening.

I've never used login items, ai've always left it empty... and I've had Mac's since about 1990.  I just felt old. :)

But I'll keep an eye on things.

3 hours ago, markw said:

This may be a long shot but have you checked to see if you have any corrupt fonts ?
I’ve known bad fonts to manifest themselves in some very peculiar ways in the past.
You can use Font Book to validate, disable and in the case of non system fonts remove them.
If you haven’t already read it Apple have this page about isolating issues with Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262#issue

All my apps load in SafeMode, they all reload in Normal mode. So it does clear up Publisher/Designer but after awhile it seems to go off again. I'll make an effort to open the apps' everyday and see what happens. And if it does happen again I'll look into the Fonts.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I want to be fair with Affinity, Since writing the original post and the last one on Nov. 29th. Since then I have opened Designer, Publisher 1.7.3 every day to see if theres been any more problems, and THERE HASN'T been any. 

Every day from Nov 29, to today Dec 30, I have opened the apps, on my iMac 10.15.1 then 10.15.2 (mid Dec') 

So whatever was going on has gone.. Maybe I shouldn't write that.. too late. 

So there you have my little test. 

• 11 months later...