I just can’t seem to understand what’s this fanboyism with Linux especially when you're a casual user.
- Linux is only a viable alternative if you’re a developer for android or server related services, maybe some other minor scenarios. Some 3D software is indeed supported on it but only because big studios pay a lot of money for licenses.
- Too much fragmentation. Supporting only Ubuntu will anger other distro users. And for Serif to support more distros means more cost & code fragmentation.
- Cross platform UI code is definitely possible and will indeed reduce costs significantly....at the expense of user experience. There is this other photo editor launched a few months ago(Ormmrrr or something). It looks terrible on mac, bad retina UI scaling, and very crash prone. Cross platform = Jack of All Trades, Master of None. Check Java vs. C++ btw if you’re still not convinced. And before you bring out QT as a UI solution, that has limitations/issues of it’s own.
- MODO is used indeed. But how many users again? And it’s $1800 or so + VAT in the EU.
- Steam is nice on Linux... Where exactly are most AAA games? Can’t seem to see them on Linux... Or on the other hand, how do Linux Indie sales compare to Mac or Windows ones?
If you want for Serif to consider porting do some actions that provide some hard facts/numbers. Maybe a kickstarter to raise the money or a big survey/poll to see how many people on Linux would actually buy it? Those ideas have been mentioned before in some other thread on this forum but you’re welcome to make something of your own.
Right now Linux is not a viable business expansion option for many companies, not just Serif. And this state of being won’t change too soon either. Getting mad at Serif or any other individual who say it’s not worth it, won’t make Linux more business success proof then before. Linux for a couple of reasons, it’s its own enemy, and we can’t help it.
P.S. Yes I tried to use LINUX on my 3D workstation... thing won’t even install the updated graphic drivers from NVIDIA. Wait why do I have to install stuff from the Terminal in 2015? ;)