Greetings and wish you a Happy New Year.
I worked since many years with the Adobe Suite and i switched in 2021 to Affinity.
One of my biggest problems with Affinity is the design of the layermenu!
If i compare the Adobe layermenu with the Affinity layermenu,
i think Adobe has overall the better and more logic UI-design.
Here are my thoughts:
- Adobe menu looks for more cleaned up and it is better to read and more understandable.
- Why is menu for visible / hide on the right side in Affinity? It should be on the left side!
- For visible / hide it would be better to have an "eye" as symbol instead of a checkmark
- You only can lock layers in top right (a symbol appears), if you unlock layers the
symbol disappears!? Please make a extra column for lock / unlock.
Best place would be after visible / hide menu on the right side.
- The Adobe menu offers a option to easily move objects from layer to layer.
Please such a functionality for the Affinity menu.
- Visually it is not so good to see which layer is active at the moment in the Affinity menu.
Adobe offers a pen-symbol for this.
- The overview of the hierarchie and the layercolor is also visually better / readable with the Adobe menu.
The priority for the layermenu should be (my 2-cents):
1. active layer
2. visible / hide
3. lock / unlock
4. layer color
5. layer name with hierarchie
6. option to move objects from layer to layer
Switching on/off layers or lock/unlock them is done more often,
then rename layers, so the menus for these switches should have
a higher priority!
I think, no one has to reinvent the wheel, why not copy well functioning menu designs!
Greeting from Germany