Jump to content

SarahH

Members
  • Content Count

    17
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  1. Okay. That's good to know. Thanks! (I was just trying to make a brush the way I'd done with Adobe products. I thought it would work the same way, but I guess not!) Off to learn about Intensity Brushes...
  2. Somebody asked about this on one of the Facebook groups, and I'm wondering if it might be a bug. If I create a new brush using New Brush From Selection, the brush seems to be created okay, but it gets created in whatever colour I used... and it doesn't show up as white in the menu like all the other brushes. It also won't take on any other colours. I created this brush using green, but then used the brush after choosing red (apparently). As you can see, it doesn't matter what colour I choose; the brush will only use the colour it was created with. (It's even weirder if you use a selection
  3. I've never changed that, so I didn't notice. Most of the fonts I use look fine with the default setting for Desired Letter Spacing.
  4. 1.8.6 works fine. Maybe the older versions had the bug, too; that might explain how it popped up again!
  5. Perhaps. But it wasn't an issue in the previous version. I never had that happen, and I've formatted literally thousands of pages. Maybe it's another bug. I reinstalled the previous version last night. That's what works for me, so I'll be sticking with it for now.
  6. I guess I'll have to learn to love Styles... EDIT 40 MINUTES LATER: I will never love Styles. *sigh* My formatting is fairly straightforward. First-line indent, 12-point text, 15-point leading. I adjust tracking as needed to avoid widows and orphans. Selecting the whole of the text and using the Justification panel worked fine. I just tried it as a Style, though, and I'm having weird things happen. Like all of my spaces between words appearing to disappear on random lines (they haven't actually disappeared... but the tracking is way off). On some lines, I can adjust the tracking
  7. Updates are nice and all... but not when they break perfectly good (and necessary) features. 🙄 In Justification (under the Paragraph tab), the Minimum Word Spacing and Maximum Word Spacing values are now linked together. I can only change the Minimum one, and it changes the Maximum one automatically. Needless to say, this isn't going to work if I want a Minimum of 80% and a Maximum of 120%. (Also, if I try to adjust the Desired Word Spacing value, it resets itself from 100% to whatever the Minimum value is.) This worked fine before the update. I can't use Publisher until this is
  8. Excellent! That works, for some reason. (It's a good thing this is for print only, because I'm ending up with some strange words at the beginnings of chapters like "Iknow".) It's a little annoying that Publisher is messing things up because of that space, but at least this is a workable solution for now. Thank you!
  9. The problem doesn't actually happen until I start playing with the file in Publisher, so I don't think it's an importing issue. After playing around with it some more, I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the combination of Drop Cap and font. If I change the font of that initial letter, it's fine. If I use a Drop Cap on that initial letter and keep it in the same font as the rest of the text, it's fine. But if I use a Drop Cap on the initial letter and change the font (or use a Style), I get the repeating line. Still, it doesn't always happen. I'm not clear on why it happens when i
  10. Okay. I think I might have found a clue. I've been using drop caps for all these projects. I decided to see what would happen if I removed those on the problem chapters. Bingo! No repeating lines. Everything selects as it should. But... does this mean I can't have pretty drop caps at the beginnings of all my chapters/sections? That sucks. 😔
  11. I used a copy of The Time Machine from Project Gutenberg, found here. I copied and pasted each chapter into Scrivener, compiled that into a Word document, and then Placed it in Publisher (I was trying to follow the exact steps I was using when I encountered the problem in my own work). The problem happens with or without Master Pages (the first time it happened, I'd just set the text up with flowable text frames on each page; I hadn't really gotten the hang of Master Pages yet). I've tried smaller and larger sinks on the first page of every chapter. I've tried not changing the size of the
  12. I finally managed to duplicate the issue with a copy of H. G. Wells's The Time Machine. (And I duplicated it good... three instances!) I've attached the Publisher file. Chapters XI, XIV, and XVI are where you can see the problem. I've also attached a screenshot of Chapter XVI with the problem circled. As you can imagine, this bug screws up the formatting for the rest of the chapter because everything is off by one line. If I manage to fix it and save, the fix isn't saved for long; the duplicating lines are there again when I reopen the file. I also noticed that, after a fix, flowing the text a
  13. I will. I'm wondering if it might be due to something in the .docx file that I'm importing. I'll have to give it a few more tries.
  14. I did manage to calculate a sink using the font/leading size, but it's still about one pixel off. The perfectionist in me is bothered... but, realistically, it's not going to be noticeable in a printed book!
  15. I'm not familiar with that feature. I'll have to do a bit of research!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.