donka reacted to Andy Somerfield in Affinity Photo Customer Beta (18.104.22.168)
Purpose: Features, improvements, fixes.
Requirements: TestFlight Acceptance.
App Store: Not submitted
We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the latest beta of Affinity Photo 1.7 for iPad.
Photo 1.7 is a (very) significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version, so, as ever, I would strongly urge users to avoid the 1.7 beta for critical work. This is a pre-release build of 1.7 - we will release more builds before 1.7 ships. Things will be broken in this build - please use it to explore the new features and not for real work.
Please note that any 1.6 documents you load into this beta will subsequently fail to load back into 1.6 - please make copies first!
If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.
With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.
Many thanks (as always),
Affinity Photo Team
Changes Since 1.6 Release
- Second generation Metal hybrid compositor, now 100% shared code with macOS Photo 1.7. All Metal accelerated features are now significantly faster - sometimes by over 100%.
- We have tweaked a number of app features to work better on both new and old iPad hardware.
- All UI has been reworked aiming to make the usable area of the canvas bigger and the controls less intrusive.
- A new “monochromatic iconography” switch has been added to preferences - it does the same as the desktop version.
- The small buttons on the content bar (without labels) are gone.
- Significant improvements in brushing performance and responsiveness.
- Photo 1.7 introduces a new “sub-brush” mechanism, developed in conjunction with Paolo Limoncelli (DAUB® Brushes). This exciting feature allows any brush to have a list of other brushes attached which will draw at the same time.
- Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring.
- Wet edges and accumulation are now available on colour brushes and brushes with HSL variance.
- Brushes with multiple nozzle textures have always chosen the nozzle at random. In 1.7, the nozzle choice has a dynamic controller and ramp for greater control.
- ABR brush import has been improved - preserving controller options correctly.
- The denoise algorithm has been rewritten.
- Added support for CR3 RAW.
- Show which autofocus rectangles were in focus and which were selected by the camera (yellow, green respectively).
- New “Voronoi” filter.
- Denoise, Clarity and Shadows / Highlights filters have been rewritten (using technology from the Develop Persona).
- More filters are now available as Live Filters - including the new Procedural Texture filter.
- Live filters have been rewritten to improve performance - especially when multiple filters are used in a document.
- Improved Polar to Rectangular and Rectangular to Polar filters.
- Added round dot type to the halftone filter.
- Bilateral blur accuracy improvements.
- New “Procedural Texture” filter with advanced presets support.
- New “List mode” - like adjustments.
- Ability to add Live Filters directly from the filters studio - avoiding rasterisation.
- The HSL adjustment layer has been rewritten. It now supports custom hue ranges, a new algorithm, new UI and picker controls.
- The Levels adjustment layer now supports output levels - a common feature request.
- The White Balance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
- The Selective Colour adjustment layer has been rewritten.
- PSD import / export of adjustments has been improved.
- The Vibrance adjustment layer has been rewritten.
- The Recolour adjustment layer has gained a lightness slider.
- Layers page - added ability to tag layers with a colour - including PSD round-trip.
- New “Duplicate Selection” item in Layer menu (old behaviour). Duplicate now duplicate the whole layer ignoring pixel selection.
- Hide / Show / Show All Layers options in layers menu.
- Ability to either rasterise or rasterise and trim a layer. Previously recorded macros will trim.
- Allow adding an empty group from the Layer menu.
- Significant improvements to selection refinement.
- When using selection tools with no pixel selection, default to New / Add as appropriate.
- Added “Alpha Similarity” to Select Sampled Colour tool.
- The Crop tool has been rewritten - it now supports resolution changes, absolute pixel size and has a much improved preset mechanism.
- The Sponge Brush tool now gives more correct / pleasant results.
- Added a “Reveal Canvas” checkbox to the crop tool - defaults to off.
- Added new “Transform object separately” mode into Move tool.
- A general tools overhaul has been performed - providing editing of grids, guides, page origin, across multiple tools (not just in the Move tool)
- All brush tools can now be axis constrained once brushing has started - not just the pixel tool.
- Preferences now has a spline for controlling pencil input pressure.
- Preferences now allows you to assign actions to a pencil barrel double tap.
- “Alternate futures” for document history have been added. Traditionally, if you roll back the undo history then do something else all your changes after that point are lost. Photo will now display a small branch icon in the history tab when you do this. Pressing that button will cycle between all the different “futures” after that history entry - meaning you will never lose work you have done.
- Snapshots are now available from the history panel.
- HEIF images can now be loaded directly into Photo. If they contain a depth map, this will also be loaded as a second layer. Because depth maps are typically lower resolution than the main image, optional “smart” upsampling will be performed.
- TIFF export now has user selectable compression method.
- Added support for 12bit TIFF files.
- Introduced new metadata mining - completely rewritten to improve performance, flexibility and correctness.
- Metadata is now dynamically synchronised with your document - so if you resize then export, the values will be correct.
- Added Focal Length to metadata summary view.
- Support 16bit CMYK TIFF import.
- Official support for iPad Air 3, iPad mini 5.
- The “Stock” panel is now available in Photo iPad. Tap to search and long-press-drag to drop content into your document.
- Added an “Assets” panel to Photo.
- The modifier keys on a hardware keyboard now work (alt, cmd, etc.). If you enable on-screen modifiers, a symbol has been added next to each one indicating which key it corresponds to.
- New ability to control how macros are scaled / aligned when playing back.
- Ability to create a document from the contents of the clipboard.
- Add “Fill with Primary / Secondary” to the Edit menu for fast access.
- “Lock guides” added to menus.
- A new blend mode - Linear Burn - has been added.
- The Hard Mix blend mode has been improved.
- Numerous text improvements have been made - including new features.
- Significant PDF import / export improvements and fixes.
- Wonderful new samples.
- Numerous bug fixes - too many to list!
donka got a reaction from wayne s in Affinity Photo for iPad (1.6.10 - Beta)
You can do that today with Apple's free Shortcuts app. Download that if you haven't already, select the Open In shortcut, uncheck the option to prompt for an app and you can then select which app you wish to open in. You can select Affinity Photo and also set the properties of the shortcut to be available from the share sheet and only for image files.
Now, say you are in Photos looking at an image and you wish to edit in AP, you just hit the Share sheet, tap the shortcuts icon and select your shortcut. It is simple to set up and use and is only a single tap longer than native share sheet support.
I can provide a better tutorial if you are new to shortcuts.
donka reacted to DM1 in How to invert layer in Photo on the iPad?
Pretty easy once you know how. Add your mask and select the mask in the layers studio. Now tap the channels studio and tap on the 3 dots to the right of the mask alpha layer. Select invert layer from the pop up menu. Return to mask layer and paint away with white brush to reveal what is covered by mask.
donka reacted to R C-R in Importing latest version from Photos.
There is a way to use the latest modified Photos version in Affinity Photo iPad. Actually, there are two ways but one of them sometimes crashes AP, so that probably needs to be looked at by the developers.
The non-crashing way: on the AP Home screen, drag Photos from the Dock up into a side panel & navigate in that panel to show the thumbnail of the edited version of the photo in the camera roll or Moments view. (It must be one of the small, thumbnail views, not a larger photo-only one.) Then tap & hold on it for a moment until it 'lifts' & grows slightly larger, & then drag that into the AP Home screen. When a green circle with a plus sign appears, lift your finger & that version will be added as a new document to the Home screen.
The sometimes crashing way: open an existing or create a new document in AP, then do as above & drag a Photos thumbnail from the side panel into that document. This is effectively the same thing as Place, & results in an "image layer." That works fine, except that if you then use the 'unclip canvas' option from the Document Persona & the placed image is much larger than the canvas, at least on my non-pro iPad with just 2 GB of memory the app may crash, I think because it runs out of memory.
I think this could be avoided if it worked like the regular Place & gave users a chance to place the image at a reasonable size within the canvas.
donka got a reaction from Alfred in Perspective filter is incorrect
Okay, scratch that. Tested on the iPad Pro 10.5 and it was correct. Went back to the pro 12.9 and tried it and it was also now working fine. Seems an app restart fixed it. I’ll keep an eye out for it again but working at the moment.
donka reacted to exploremoar in Close multiple photos
I have been developing hundreds of RAW photos in AP and its amazing, but after I’m done I have to go in and one by one close all of the images I’ve developed. I wish there were a way to close all of them with a single command, or perhaps a select option so that we could choose multiple to be closed. Thank you!
donka got a reaction from Silvia in Affinity image manager for iPad???
I keep suggesting how the likes of Photogene works. This lets you browse all the images in the Photos app without the need of individual imports. You can nip in and out of images and make all the various edits you wish which are stored in Photogene unless you export back to Photos. This means you keep Photos as the 'DAM' app but leverage AP for all editing and exporting as required.
This is like a half way house between what we have today and a dedicated DAM application but works on iOS.
donka reacted to Andy Somerfield in Affinity Photo Beta for iPad (1.6.7 - Beta 3)
Status: Beta Release.
Purpose: Fixes, improvements, features.
Requirements: TestFlight Acceptance.
App Store: Not Submitted
The third beta of 1.6.7 has been deployed on TestFlight. The changes are detailed below.
You can download the App Store version at any time to stop using the beta - and download the TestFlight build at any time to go back to the beta.
Affinity Photo Team
Changes this version.
- Develop shadows / highlights improvements.
- Develop clarity improvements.
- Correctly discard cancelled RAW develops / panoramas etc.
- Improved input smoothing for all tools.
- Improved behaviour when trying to move small layers (ie. avoid inadvertent resizes).
- Improved filesystem integration (again).
- Improved text tool UI.
- Moved spelling suggestions to context menu.
- Removed superfluous OK / Cancel buttons from develop crop tool.
- Creating stacks from RAW files now works more correctly.
- Improved Perlin Noise filter.
- Transparent TGA import support.
- Numerous touch / pencil interaction improvements.
- Fixed colour picker appearing too easily in paint brush tool.
- Fixed long press being too short in some tools.
- Fixed inability to export transparent PNG, TIFF, etc.
- Fixed HEIF import from Photos app.
- Fixed issue where stray colour picker loupe could remain after switching tools.
- Fixed incorrect DPI limit in resize tool.
- Numerous other small fixes.
- Localisation improvements.
- PSD, PDF import / export tweaks.
- Help improvements.
Changes since last App Store release.
- Now fully supports open-in-place - including saving back directly to the original location.
- New “Import from Camera” - supporting RAW and automatic HDR bracketed merge. Has fancy histograms and scopes.
- New ability to install custom fonts in preferences (these will be shared with Designer iPad once it is released).
- New “Average Blur” filter.
- Added ability to export brushes.
- Added ability to both import and export styles.
- Added option in preferences to cache screen updates - you will see much less pixelation when painting etc. - but it uses more memory.
- Adjustments panel now has an option to show a simple list (by popular request).
- Overhaul of pencil / touch input mechanism - this enabled much needed functionality such as long pressing with Apple Pencil to pick colours in brush tools, etc.
- Fixed marching ants disappearing when canvas is rotated.
- Apple Pencil can now dismiss flyouts without passing a tap through.
- Fixed transform studio aspect ratio lock.
- Improved long-press behaviour in Liquify tool.
- Made the “Protect Alpha” mode of the paint brush tool more obvious.
- Further develop Clarity improvements - including negative clarity.
- Further develop shadows / highlights improvements.
- Improved software keyboard toolbar.
- Ask a better question when leaving a feature persona without committing changes.
- Further performance improvements in develop persona.
- Preferences option to choose default storage location.
- Improved support for the dropping of files into an open document.
- Bitmap fills are now available on vector objects.
- Numerous other small fixes and improvements.
- Localisation tweaks.
- Brand new shadows / highlights algorithm in Develop.
- Brand new clarity algorithm in Develop.
- Can now open / edit files in place - directly from the Files app.
- New “Solo” layer option in layer properties panel.
- New preferences option to show touches - good for screen recording.
- Improved iOS11 drag & drop support.
- Can now rotate image in Develop.
- Pasting now keeps things in the right place.
- Maximum / minimum filters now obey the current channels properly.
- Brush scatter works properly when controller is “random”.
- Improved angle / tilt support for Apple Pencil.
- Handle vertical panoramas better.
- Fixed some HDR merge crashes.
- Fixed multiply blend mode in 32bit documents.
- Improved crop tool behaviour when using ratios.
- Improved retouching tools in 32bit mode.
- Fixed issues with “Direction” brush controller.
- Improvements to selection refinement.
- Improved TIFF support.
- PSD export improvements.
- Channels page improvements / fixes.
- “Save a copy” stability improvements.
- Ability to clear history (hopefully will help some people who encounter crashes when trying to return to the home screen).
- New “Constrain” modifier button for Depth of Field tool.
- Snapping candidates can now be selected by hovering over them whilst in a drag.
- All other relevant fixes from 1.6.6 desktop version.
- Help improvements.
- Localisation improvements.
donka got a reaction from Mark Ingram in Call for Camera Images
Just uploaded samples from Nikon D7200, Sony A6000, Sony RX100 III & DJI Mavic Pro.
Please let me know if you need additional content such as different lenses, specific scenes including shadows or high contrast and also please feel free to assist our speculation!
donka reacted to mshafik in Develop Persona Feedback & Suggestions
I just bought an iPad Pro 10.5” (coming from an iPad Air) mainly to be able to use Affinity Photo for developing my RAW files on the go. I am a heavy Lightroom user but the subscription idea drives me mad. Anyway, back to AP. I bought the app yesterday, and processed 10 RAW photos from a Sony A7II camera and an Olympus E-M1. I faced some issues and I was missing a few features, so I was very glad when I found you had an active forum running. Here goes my feedback:
I imported all my RAW photos to the Photos library then went to AP and wanted to import several files from inside but I had to do it one by one. I suggest adding the ability to import multiple photos at once. Then I remembered that I can drag and drop multiple photos at once from the photos app (I watched some tutorials before buying the app) and it worked but with a glitch. Not all of the photo thumbnails were displayed. They only appeared after developing the photos. Creating a new folder to host my images was not straightforward, but I found was able to create a project and move the photos one by one inside. I believe this could be made easier and more intuitive. When I finished editing the photos and exporting the, I wanted to delete them from AP. I tried deleting the whole project at once and failed. I had to delete the photos one by one (why no select multiple or select all?) then delete the project after that. When editing the photos, I couldn’t find a white balance dropper tool. I had 3 photos for the same person that were shot under fluorescent lighting and had varying white balance, and I wasn’t able to match the white balance for all three photos without a dropper. For the same three photos, I wish I was able to copy the develop settings from one photo and apply to multiple photos at once. I usually process hundreds of photos on lightroom at a time. This would make it impossible to move my workflow to AP. Lightroom offers synchronizing settings between photos. In one of the above mentioned 3 photos I went back to modify the white balance to make it look similar to another one, but I discovered that once I press the develop checkmark, it converts the photo to a JPEG and it loses all the development history. Please make it non-destructive. The shadow and highlights adjustments are very weird. When increasing the shadows all that happens is that dark areas become more uniformly grey. It doesn’t recover any details. Same for highlights. What is the deal with that? That's the whole point of RAW development. In one of the photos, I started developing and before pressing the develop checkmark I went to the crop tool. Once I made my crop, I wasn't able to confirm the crop and get back to development. So I pressesd “Cancel” on the crop tool, and all of a sudden all of my development settings were gone and the picture became very dark and under-exposed. It happened twice. I was able to get around the issue by completing the development then cropping afterwards. That's very awkward. Once I finished processing all 10 photos, I was presented with a weird exporting module. I wanted to simply save the photos to my iPad Photos library. I always export JPEGs at 3000 pixels wide and 85% quality. First, I had to export each photo one by one. And in each photo, I had to choose JPEG, enter the new dimensions, choose the quality, then for some reason press the share button instead of export and choose the “Save Image”. This could have been made much easier. You could offer custom export settings (JPEG/3000px wide/keep aspect ratio/85% quality). You could offer batch export. You could offer to export directly to the Photos app.
That sums my first use of AP. I hope you had some useful insights and ideas for future use. And please accept my apologies if I sounded agitated. But AP is why I bought a new iPad and an Apple Pencil. I really appreciate the work done in developing this app, but I believe you can make it a much more powerful tool with just a few additions.
donka got a reaction from Hiker214 in Laughably Unusable - iPad Pro 9.7”
I'm starting to see more crashes as I use this app more and I do sympathise with the OP but the best thing we can do is report these issues and provide additional details and sample files where requested to assist the team in resolving these issues. Participation in the beta also makes a lot of sense for the OP as you will see where improvements are being made and be able to contribute to existing issues.
donka reacted to Patrick Connor in Affinity Photo for iPad wins App of the Year 2017!
For those who are interested....
The Winner of the iPad was
Florian Diehl from Freudenstadt, Germany
who liked our page and shared the Facebook post
Congratulations to him and thank you all so much for helping make Affinity Photo for iPad such a huge success.
donka got a reaction from MEB in Affinity Photo for iPad wins App of the Year 2017!
Patrick, I've had email problems recently. Can you PM me on here instead and I'll share shipping details. It was me, right?
donka got a reaction from jacki3wrfsef in Shadows issue in latest beta.
Okay, when increasing shadows in the develop persona in the latest beta, I’m getting a horrible sparkling effect as soon as I increase the shadow by 1. This affects raw files (NEF) as well as jpg. This doesn’t happen in the photo persona or when using other apps like Apple Photos or RAW Power.
Screens attached but this only seems to affect black images such as this moon shot.
donka reacted to Christian Kogler in Thank you for Affinity Photo
it's time to say something positive: thank you for creating Affinity Photo! I really love it and I'm so happy that their finally is good alternative to the Adobe products, which I don't like at all! Not from the functionality, not from their pricing system, not from their usability, handling and support.
Affinity Photo is great!
Go on and good luck!
donka reacted to F_Kal in [DAM] Affinity Lightroom Killer Request
I'm not a professional photographer so the price point is a concern of mine: For a few weeks now, I've been using DxO OpticsPro 11, since it is free if you download it by the the end of November. The speed and processing quality is rather good (imo much better than ACDSee, Aftershot, Darktable or Apple Photos). While it is not a fully fledged DAM/raw developer in the vains of lightroom, it's been very satisfying as a substitute for the Bridge+Adobe Camera Raw combo.
I'm only missing gradient/brush masks, and perspective corrections (that can be found if you buy some plugins or upgrade to the Elite version) but for now I can finally live with that until something better comes out (Perhaps Luminar 2018?)
hope this helps somebody!
donka reacted to paristo in [DAM] Affinity Lightroom Killer Request
Yes, in a way. But you said not to do a DAM while I recommend Affinity to go a head and do a DAM, but really get it right. Affinity should do a DAM that is purely focused for managing images. Then they have their Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer for working. And what they need to do is a "raw persona" that is own separate product for raw conversion that is used with all two (DAM and Affinity Photo) as integrated unit, instead both having something. Bring the updates to the raw converter quickly and even backport for older versions if possible.