You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Kindle] User manual for Affinity Designer and Designer Photo

Good morning!

Intro

I found introduce topic so I move this part to it.

Question

I bought Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Now I would use my Kindle to read user manual for both application and go deeper. I've time where I travel to work and I'd use it for learning basic by reading in bus. I find topic here about documentation for AP 1.5.

1. I've version 1.5.1. Are there any changes from 7 Dec in documentation for AP compared to file with this topic?

2. Is any ebook user manual help file for Designer?

• Staff

Hi affi.usr,

Welcome to the forums.

The content of the help is current for Affinity Photo 1.5, it may receive minor refinements in future updates. The help will be updated to include new features added for the 1.6 update which is expected around easter.

We have our Designer Workbook, however this is only available as a hard copy, we may look into releasing a digital version sometime in the future.

Designer Workbook as ebook I think is good idea for some part of users. I view samples and IMHO hardcopy will be better fx. colors, and paper is not e-ink. Reproduction colors in some place is crucial to understanding.

From other hand I think Affinity Designer help which I get as HTML in app should be release as free PDF file.

I understand that I bough software in good price and you are not a charity so you want make money on documentation and learning stuff for Affinity users. When we talk about more advance concept of graphics like how use fonts to well work together, when we think about process design and choose color for project etc. etc. I have some basic and I understand this point. Adobe publish PDF help and user get basic in one place. When I know tools, rules of switching interface HTML help is good to remember things or get clues. 

From my point of view PDF is better, because I can simply print what I need without troubles, better search funcionality, easy to use on others devices and I can simply remember number of page.

Because I'm totaly beginner I make simple Kindle version of help. It is not perfect because punctations are different, some graphics are missed, so I get about 85% what I need from documentation on Kindle and maybe 70% source style. For start I attached DOC with documentation with Affinity Team copyright at the end. When you send this file on your adres [user_name](at)free.kindle.com Amazon converted this to Kindle format.

AD_1.5_help.doc

Affinity Team, if you think that attached file is wrong move from me please remove it. 

If nothing else, I think there should be an online version of the built-in help so people, including those who have not (yet) bought the app (!!!), can access with a browser from anywhere there is internet access. Since most of the help is formatted as HTML anyway, this should not be very hard to do, & I suspect it would more than pay for itself in increased sales & reduced support needs.

Obviously, it should always be the current, up-to-date version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If nothing else, I think there should be an online version of the built-in help so people, including those who have not (yet) bought the app (!!!), can access with a browser from anywhere there is internet access.

I completely agree. For as long as I can remember, although Serif have been quite happy to sell a printed manual to users of their Windows-only applications, the installer has placed a PDF version of the manual in the program folder. These manuals are also available for download by prospective purchasers (and anyone else who's sufficiently interested!) and in recent years the Help for each program has been available online in a searchable format; e.g. the product manuals can be downloaded via the links on this page and the online Help for PagePlus X9 can be viewed here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

We have our Designer Workbook, however this is only available as a hard copy

I bought it. I hope it will not be a mistake. I was looking for quick start guide outside video tutorials as hardcopy or PDF. Net opinions about Workbook are very positive so I'm waiting for delivery.

• 1 year later...

I agree with a PDF manual. I am switching from Adobe Illustrator because Adobe pricing is pushing users out. So far Affinity Design appears to be a competitive  software, and I am sure it will draw many Adobe users... but we need better documentation for Mac as well.