You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think it is because the Affinity plugin interface only operates on fixed-sized images. The whole point of Gigapixel is that it increases the image size, so there is  no way to return it through the plugin interface. This is probably the reason why plugins like the DXO Nik perspective plugin do not work in Affinity.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, All Media Lab said:

@BobZ6 Hi Bob,

Gigapixel is a stand alone application (no plugin) and DenoiseAI and  SharpenAI are plugins and stand alone apps. So there is no way to use Gigipixel as a plugin (at the moment, maybe it ill change in the future).

David

It's advertised as working as a plugin for Photoshop CC 2020 and later and there is a PS_Plugins-x64 folder

54 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

It's advertised as working as a plugin for Photoshop CC 2020 and later and there is a PS_Plugins-x64 folder

But does this folder contain an .8bf file? These are the only ones that will work with Affinity (and not all of those will). I suspect that it might be a different kind of plug-in, one that can return a different-sized return image that Photoshop can accept.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

But does this folder contain an .8bf file? 

Yes. But unlike Topaz sharpen AI and denoise AI, the Topaz gigapixel plugin is not compatible with affinity photo (it won't show up in the filters' list at all).

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

13 hours ago, RichardMH said:

The German photo editor PhotoLine runs Topaz Gigapixel but as a external editor, not a plugin. I no longer have Photoshop, but I'll bet it's doing the same.

IMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB memory. macOS 13.4.1

At one stage I contacted Topaz about the order of applying their applications. About Gigapixel they said

"Gigapixel AI would be very last after all other edits are done, unless you're starting with a very low resolution image to begin. Then you may want to use it in the beginning and end."

I print outside Photo anyway so on the rare case I need to resize putting a tiff through Gigapixel before my print application isn't a drama.

(I was in contact with Topaz about a noisy lowish resolution image from a friend's phone and whether to resize or denoise first)

7 hours ago, RichardMH said:

"Gigapixel AI would be very last after all other edits are done, unless you're starting with a very low resolution image to begin. Then you may want to use it in the beginning and end."

Uhm. That doesn't make any sense to me. I'd go exactly the other way round to make sure that my edits are done in the best quality possible rather than scaled by an AI's guessing. First enlarge, then edit.

Edit: Unless they refer to their own products' edits. Of course, then it's denoise first, then resize.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...