You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SOME IMPORT FOR RHINO

im beyond frustrated.no way to get vector to and from rhino 5 OS X. lack of support from devs to expand file IO options like basic DWG or anything rhino uses. affinity is the only software lacking this basic functionality. not using or supporting the team anymore til they make some effort. shame too, it otherwise would be perfect to leave the adobe land, but I have no options to use your software.

I just checked their website and they claim to import and export PDF and SVG formats. Affinity imports those.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey Bruce!

Yes, this seems to be the case, but it actually is not. they only support one specific type of import for PDF files and my software cant output SVG, it can do EPS .AI DXF DWG

pdf import as images not vectors in my case, the software cant output pdf vectors. Affinity is unable to import data from the compatible formats - EPS and .ai because they dont actually fully support those formats.

its a mess. im livid because ive committed to all this, and im trying to get something going, annnnd fullstops on the project, have to buy new software and ignore everything ive worked on.

Hey MEB,

Not possible on Rhino 5 OSX from what I can gather. looks like im specifically screwed.

Edit to clarify, It bakes it down to straight lines without curves and so its effectively useless - no way around it.

Edited by hatch

Rhino is a 3D modelling software, Affinity Designer isn't ... all you can do is transport using an exchange format like PDF or SVG, but it will not transfer the rotatable model, only the current view of your graphic.

Also ... it'd be nice if you asked for help in a nice and friendly manner, instead of ranting rudely.

yes it should, however affinity has an affinity for opening the eps files as blank white pages because the implementation isnt complete, nd lacks the support to import the specific mode of EPS that rhino exports... I am trying desperately to find a free intermediary software that isnt a huge blunder like blender to use just to get my files into affinity simply to color.

thanks for the replies by the way Jens. very familiar with what I am trying to do here, not a user error or trying to import 3d models. strictly 2d basic vector lifework., trust me. Ive made fonts 2d graphics and traces for circuit boards, and loads of 2d vector graphics in rhino because it has suporior curve tools in my experience. my old workflow involved slaving my wage to adobe to get things done. looks like this may have to be the only option. 

You could create an EPS and a PDF file and ask MEB (see above, he's from Serif) if he gives you an upload link to send your test files to the developers so they can see which parts are not working and if they can fix it for the next update.

If it's nothing confidential or you have test files that you don't mind forum members helpfully messing around with, you can also attach them to a post and see if someone can find the issue.

here's an example of some quick graphics. nothing proprietary or crazy.

just trying to get things to nicely transfer over. not looking to use an online tool every time I need to export, or some whackadoodle software. if I cant get it to handle a basic import, software will be good as dead to me. Ive already wasted so much time..

I do want to express my gratitude though to the users here for being so quick to respond, and trying to fix the issue though. that means a lot and I am hopeful

Icons.EPS

Icons.AI

I have quickly tested both file in several programs and every single one (online converted and offline apps and even macOS Preview) gives me an error message on both files -- either a "PostScript Error" or "Unknown Error" and one online converter identified the issue as "File is Encrypted".

My guess was, that something was wrong with the files you supplied or with Rhinos export settings -- otherwise at least one of the online converters would have been able to get SOME result, at least a low res preview image or something.

Some googling confirmed that exporting PDF, AI and EPS in Rhino has been an issue for some time (forum posts backdating to 2015 and older), apparently it's a big task to transfer the 2D drawing of a 3D model to vector graphics (PDF, AI, EPS).

As far as I can tell from their forums and the website, Rhino 6 has something they call "real PDF export" which is done by printing with the "Rhino PDF printer" (you could install the trial of Rhino 6, export a few files and test how they transfer to PDF).
For Rhino 4 an 5 I was also able to find this plugin / macro for SVG export: https://www.food4rhino.com/app/save-scalable-vector-graphics

Thanks Jens, 

yeah im afraid it seems to be the rhino implementation is an older version of adobe that was proprietary, and my understanding is that the interpreters that are newer cant handle that code, producing postscript errors and similar, and giving us the white page.

im in my own little special zone of software hell where I have the lucky combo of incompatible wares. unfortunately im on OS X, tried going down that route for sag but it is a windows only plugin. not going to spend 500$ to upgrade To rhino 6 just for this .... 

and the thing is im not transferring a 3d model I am transferring 2d curves on a flat plane to vector. I understand that they are likely given spacial 'z' coordinates under the hood, and that there are also different curve types, bezier vs lines and arcs. that said, my AI files did open fine in illustrator natively when I passed these exact files to a friend. looks like I have to suck it up and go adobe for a month at 30$ - UGH ADOBE! thats the only way I can get my project done.

Hello hatch,

I read your posts on this forum and on rhino's. I use the same setup and tried out some fixes mentioned above.

It's true that the Aviary plugin seems to be only for Windows (as there is no apple icon on the Food4Rhino website) but sometimes these plugins do work.

I was able to install the plugin on my rhino 5 for Mac + grasshopper and export an .svg and then import it in affinity designer :)

Schermafbeelding-2020-09-08-om-02-12-46.

Schermafbeelding-2020-09-08-om-02-12-55.

The grasshopper plugin should work for you too.

aviary11020002.zip test 1.afdesign test 1.gh test 1.svg

Yup replying in both spots as well, but I am about to check this out and try it. this seems to be the way forward, it is MUCH MUCH appreciated

Well, After playing a bit, this definitely works. this is FANTASTIC. grasshopper lets me take it into my own hands a bit too with scaling and other options. its not a clean solution, but I live another day without adobe. 

Ive been pretty much a whining SOB today, so I just want to thank everyone here for being amazing and helping me even though I was having a tantrum lol. hopefully someone else finds this info easier if they ever need it, Remy, that particular one was the ticket! for reference to anyone else, I actually installed the latest version of that plugin which is listed as supporting rhino 6 for windows, and it has run smoothly in this application for svg export.

Edited by hatch

I use Rhino pretty heavily in a different part of my activities.  I export PDFs for print routinely, but have not needed to look at the curve format in the result.  Also have exchanged STEP and IGES files with others using different software, but have not had the need to export SVG, or any other type of 2D curve format other than DXF/DWG  Glad to know there's a way to do that!