You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I have read, Affinity is going to make Affinity Publishet at the end of 2016 in Beta for an lunch in the beginning 2017...

I have bought Affinity Photo and Designer, but not used for the moment, I still with the Adobe CC, I need a similar indesign similar program...

So my question is when Affinity Publisher is going to launch ?

Affinity Publisher in currently in development but we don't have a release date. The earliest would be the end of 2017.

Is has been pushed back so far? x_X

Guys do you want to force people waiting into the hand of Adobe? 8(

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Guys do you want to force people waiting into the hand of Adobe? 8(

I am coming from Adobe as a user so I am going the other way and though I may not be able to get features I need now I am willing to wait to an extent but I am also looking at other competitor products so if not Affinity Publisher then PagePlus X8 or Corel or some thing else.

I just wish they would get on with it.  Like others, I purchased Designer and Photo expecting Publisher to follow, but "NO".  I have been a Serif user since PagePlus3 and now use X9 to produce, among other things, our parish magazine.  For me, a suite of compatible programs is essential but Serif seem to be doing all they can to drive me, and doubtless others, away to what I will call the dark side.

Come on Serif, let's at least get one complete suite in place before you start expanding your client base.  

For years there was only the "PLUS" programs available in Windows and I would suggest that with the Windows user base this was a very profitable and limited line.  Now that they have moved into the Mac arena they appear not to care about the needs of their former supporters.  Pushed back until the end of 2017?  How simply ridiculous.

For years there was only the "PLUS" programs available in Windows and I would suggest that with the Windows user base this was a very profitable and limited line.  Now that they have moved into the Mac arena they appear not to care about the needs of their former supporters.  Pushed back until the end of 2017?  How simply ridiculous.

Hello Yogi9409,

Unfortunately, you are wrong. This SerifPlus line was actually not profitable at all. That's why the decision was made to start a new product Affinity.

If you search these forums a bit you will find that (by their own admission) the new line is at 10 times as much profitable and that was even before they decided to develop the Affinity Products for windows.

Another reason to not develop the SerifPlus line any longer was a very old code-base, meaning, too much effort would have to be spent to modernise it, so better start from scratch. And so the decision was made to start afresh.

Everybody is a bit impatient regarding the Publisher but there is nothing we can do except wait.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

For years there was only the "PLUS" programs available in Windows and I would suggest that with the Windows user base this was a very profitable and limited line.

Multiple times in the Affinity forums the staff have implied that maintaining the Serif Windows product line is no longer profitable, which is probably why they started developing the Affinity line. They have mentioned that it uses an entirely new code base, designed to significantly improve responsiveness & to use fewer system resources compared to other similar apps (including the Serif ones).

Tony Brightman, head of Serif Labs, said in an article in Affinity Review #1 (which apparently is no longer available?) that it started as a research project headed by senior developer Andy Somerfield (who sometimes posts comments here) & that "The aim of the project was to create a memory management system capable of high-end photo editing on an iPad with only 80MB memory available to the App.”

The project was a success & eventually resulted in the release of Affinity Designer for Mac. That was a huge success, becoming Apple's "App of the Year" & one of the highest grossing apps on the Mac App Store. Likewise the later release of Affinity Photo for Mac also made it to the top ten list of highest grossing apps.

I am just guessing, but I suspect that if those Mac apps had not sold well Serif Labs might not be in existence today, or at least not in any position financially to develop or maintain anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the update fellas, but it really does not solve my problem.

I do not understand why Publisher  is taking so long.  Originally we were promised bite by 4th quarter 2016, now, according to the latest (mis)information it will be 4th quarter 2017.  Many of us switched to Affinity based on what we were told, i.e., 2016, now we are being told 2017.  Hardly fair on us and no wonder we are getting somewhat annoyed.

It would IMHO be preferable to get one suite complete before using programming resources to encompass other OSs, i.e. Windows.

I do not understand why Publisher  is taking so long.  Originally we were promised bite by 4th quarter 2016, now, according to the latest (mis)information it will be 4th quarter 2017.  Many of us switched to Affinity based on what we were told, i.e., 2016, now we are being told 2017.  Hardly fair on us and no wonder we are getting somewhat annoyed.

In the words of developer Dave Harris, their past timelines for Publisher were "wildly optimistic".

It would IMHO be preferable to get one suite complete before using programming resources to encompass other OSs, i.e. Windows.

Serif have repeatedly made it clear that the developers working on the Windows version are not in a position to make a meaningful contribution to the (shared) code for the core functionality of the apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Serif have repeatedly made it clear that the developers working on the Windows version are not in a position to make a meaningful contribution to the (shared) code for the core functionality of the apps.

But iAD seems to launch before APu … which could be another reason for growing delays.

But help is growing: More daughters are in the pipeline …

But iAD seems to launch before APu … which could be another reason for growing delays.

I don't recall having seen anything to suggest that iAD, or even iAPh, will be launched before APu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't recall having seen anything to suggest that iAD, or even iAPh, will be launched before APu.

Nor have I. However, since AD for Mac is already a retail product & the Mac & iPad OS's use many of the same API's, while Publisher has not yet even reached the beta stage & should include many functions not currently in any existing Affinity app, retail or beta, it isn't inconceivable that iAD could end up beating Publisher to market.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ugly? It is not handsome, it is not trendy, it is simply workflow orientated – in contrary to the Affinity apps with its quite unergonomic design (we talked about this here hundreds of times), the iCalamus user interface is clear and you can identify the commands within a twinkle of an eye.
I bet: Until a new publishing software will reach the actual state of iCalamus, you'll have to wait for it at least(!) for 5 years from now.
One more thing: This application has absolutely no "Atari heritage". You may think of good ol' Calamus SL, which initially was an Atari app, but iCalamus is a pure, newly developed macOS application.

Nor have I.

First they told us here “We are going to focus on completing the full suite (including Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher) on the Mac over the next 12 months. After that we will look into other platforms.

Then: “Affinity Photo and Designer for iPad […] They’re coming in 2017.” And now: “The earliest [release of Affinity Publisher] would be the end of 2017.”

People who purchased AD and/or AP because they want to support the development of APu and/or use them/it together with Apu in/before 2016 on the Mac are not happy that more than a single second is used for the development and presentation of iAffinity apps.

First they told us here “We are going to focus on completing the full suite (including Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher) on the Mac over the next 12 months. After that we will look into other platforms.

But "focus on" & "release a fully functional retail version" are not the same thing, no matter how much people wish they were.

People who purchased AD and/or AP because they want to support the development of APu and/or use them/it together with Apu in/before 2016 on the Mac are not happy that more than a single second is used for the development and presentation of iAffinity apps.

With respect & understanding for all, those people would do well to try to understand more about the realities of software development, including cross platform synergy, the economic necessities of keeping the doors open, the enormous challenges that must be overcome to develop a design concept into a fully functional & reasonably bug free retail product, & so on.

In particular, it is never a good idea to buy any app based on projections of what or when something else will be released. With Affinity, they have been unusually honest about how that process is going (imagine Apple or Adobe doing anything like that!) but even so, the only thing we or they can count on is what is available now, today, not some estimate of what will be available at any future time.

Affinity Photo 

But "focus on" & "release a fully functional retail version" are not the same thing, no matter how much people wish they were.

“&” and “and” are not the same thing and ignoring words and meanings is … well, “completing” is “completing” and “after” is “after”! iAP and iAD are “coming in 2017”, but APu seems to come later than iAD.

With respect & understanding for all, those people would do well to try to understand more about the realities of software development, including cross platform synergy, the economic necessities of keeping the doors open, the enormous challenges that must be overcome to develop a design concept into a fully functional & reasonably bug free retail product, & so on.

Serif needed those purchasers without your deep knowledge. People need information they can trust. Many people said they purchased the apps because they wanted to support the development of APu. Communicating wrong informations again and again doesn’t create a trustworthy corporate image.

In particular, Serif did not look into other platforms after completing APu. Serif does it and did it before. Programmers doing iPad development.

“some estimate of what will be available at any future time”? Serif told us that APu will launch in 2015.

Ugly? It is not handsome, it is not trendy, it is simply workflow orientated – in contrary to the Affinity apps with its quite unergonomic design (we talked about this here hundreds of times), the iCalamus user interface is clear and you can identify the commands within a twinkle of an eye.

I bet: Until a new publishing software will reach the actual state of iCalamus, you'll have to wait for it at least(!) for 5 years from now.

One more thing: This application has absolutely no "Atari heritage". You may think of good ol' Calamus SL, which initially was an Atari app, but iCalamus is a pure, newly developed macOS application.

ok, thank you for your answer, I make an option of iCalamus, I m not sure now, XPress or iCalamus, Affinity is not an option for the moment.

XPress have a lot of possibility like inDesign, iCalamus is for simply publishing and doing well...

Affinity Publishing is not an option for the moment, I will buy it when it 's will be on sales to have the trilogy...

Hi all

Although this won't help window users I have noticed a piece of software on line called " iStudio Publisher for mac" which at first glance looks a fairly fully featured page layout programme given that it costs very little. It is not going to be a replacement for InDesign but it may help to come away from Adobe until Affinity Publisher is released. I have no experience of using this software but considering it only costs twenty odd pounds it has to be worth a punt if you really can't wait for Affinity Publisher.